Shapefile Attributes to Stop Attributes

04-11-2011 10:14 AM
JordanBehunin
New Contributor
I'm new to the Network Analyst tool, so I'll apologize in advance.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to keep the attributes of points included after I add the points to the Network as stops? I have added locations and every time I do, it creates the required network information for network analysis but doesn't keep the previous specific attributes for those points.

Example: I have points in a shapefile which contain attributes of schools in an area; name, address, principle, etc...
             When I add the points as locations into the network as stopping points, it creates the attributes necessary for the analyst, but I can't find the name for the school. I would manually go through and identify each school but there are way too many in the area. How do I get the stopping points to retain the previous information from the attribute table of the points?

Any help?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DeeleshMandloi
Esri Contributor
Jordan,
   You can pass in any unique ID field from your input shapefiles to the stops sublayer within a Route network analyst layer. In order to achieve this, before loading your shapefile points as stops, create a new field, for example, "UniqueID", on the Stops sublayer in the Route Network Analyst layer. Now when you add shapefile points as stops using the Load Locations command, you will see a new property called "UniqueID" (or whatever you named the new field) in the Location Analysis Properties section. In this control for the UniqueID property you can now select a field from your input shapefile.
Henceforth you can use a join to transfer attributes back and forth between stops sublayer and your input shapefile using the UniqueID field as the key field.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos