Service Area Analysis

Jump to solution
01-14-2022 02:35 PM
Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

I have created and built a network dataset. I used the NA toolbar to create a service area. On the Analysis tab I set the Default Breaks for 2 minutes and ran the analysis. Why are the roads circled in red not included in the 2 minute service area?

This is my first time using NA. Any help is appreciated.

Sean_Wray_0-1642199665037.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are using ArcMap, then on the NA toolbar, there is connectivity checker tool (second from right) that you can use to explore the connectivity.

If switching to any vertex did not work then that means the line going up does not have a common vertex where the lines going to the right should connect. You will need to use the Integrate tool to create the required vertices and then rebuild again.

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

It is likely they are not connected to the other lines! You can change the service area to generate polygons and lines and re-run the analysis to see if those lines are part of the output.

But a better way is to check the connectivity. Click on the network dataset in the TOC to make it active and then use the network dataset tab to pick the Explore Network tool and click on the lines to see what they are connected to AND what travel attributes they have. That might give you a clue to where the problem exists.

The connectivity issues may have happened due to End Point connectivity policy when the streets are not all split at all the connecting ends. You may be able to switch the Any Vertex connectivity and rebuild the network. Again that will only work if the lines that are not split have a vertex where the  other lines connect.

Jay Sandhu

Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

I should have mentioned. I'm using Desktop 10.8

Forgive me. I'm new to Network Analyst. I do not see a network dataset tab. I can go to the network dataset properties in catalog, but still no network data set tab. Just the ones shown below. I DID switch the policy to Any Vertex and rebuilt the dataset. Then I did a 1 minute service area. See below...

Sean_Wray_2-1642202865072.png

Sean_Wray_3-1642203110275.png

JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are using ArcMap, then on the NA toolbar, there is connectivity checker tool (second from right) that you can use to explore the connectivity.

If switching to any vertex did not work then that means the line going up does not have a common vertex where the lines going to the right should connect. You will need to use the Integrate tool to create the required vertices and then rebuild again.

Jay Sandhu

Sean_Wray
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much Jay! That seemed to solve it. On inspection there were not any adjacent edges to the edges running east/west. Integrate and rebuild worked.

I think I'll have more questions along the way doing this simple analysis. Hopefully you'll keep an eye on this community! I really appreciate your time!

Sean_Wray_0-1642204481118.png

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Glad that worked!

Jay Sandhu