Routing Monthly Service Points

05-29-2014 02:47 PM
MichaelMachado
New Contributor III
Each month we have a service run to several addresses.  These are generated from calls and put into an Excel Spreadsheet as they come in.  There can be up to 50 of these calls each month.  I'm able to geocode the addresses into points from the spreadsheet but they are still in random order in and around the city.  I would like to create a reasonable route for the crews to go to each service without having to either figure it out based on knowledge of the city or creating a datafield to sequential numbers to use.  I'm using Network Analyst and I can generate a route but it criss-crosses the city too much.  Is there a better way to do this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
Yes, you can do this!  After you create your Route layer, open the layer properties, go to the Analysis Settings tab, and check true the Reorder Stops to Find Optimal Route option.  By default, the Route uses the input order of the stops as the order, but by checking this option true, you can have it rearrange the order to find the most efficient route, which sounds like what you want.
See http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//004700000045000000 for more information.
0 Kudos