Recreating StreetMap Network Dataset

08-31-2011 02:09 PM
michaelmessing
New Contributor
Hello,

I've been using the network dataset that came with the StreetMap data for most of my Network Analyst work. It works well and saved me from having to create my own network dataset up to this point. My only issue is the fact that the network is so large my analyses are taking too long. My original plan was to use the Dissolve Network tool to make the network more efficient. This does not work however because the network dataset is read-only.

I have two questions. First is there any work-around that will let me make changes to this read-only dataset, perhaps creating a second copy, or do I have to create my own network dataset? If I do have to create a new network dataset, is there any documentation detailing how the StreetMap network dataset was created in the first place?

Thank you in advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
The SDC is a read only dataset. You can not modify it.

You mention the reason to create a new one for dissolve is performance, can you tell us which solver you are using and what is the performance and what performance you want to achieve?

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
jianhedu
New Contributor
I have a similar situation.
I created a network from my shapefile.  The "Minutes" field needs to be updated and each time it updates I need find the shortest path.  That means, I need to build it each time the "Minutes" changed.  It won't allow me to re-build, saying "Runtime error <class 'arcgisscripting.ExecuteError'>: ERROR 030033: Parameter does not contain a network dataset data element."  I used "arcpy.BuildNetwork_na".

This network is not a SDC file, right?  Since I can manually build it from ArcCatalog. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos