Purposefully Inefficient Routing?

05-10-2020 03:38 PM
CharlesCurtin
New Contributor II

Routing question. My sister is attempting to jog all of the streets in her small town and has asked me to try to come up with routes for her that accomplish this while repeating streets as little as possible. I currently have a vector layer of line segments broken down by street name in ArcGIS Pro. I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to her question? I was thinking a one route for the entire town that I could give her, and she could just pick segments based on how far she wants to go each day. Any help is much appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sounds like the Chinese Postman Problem.  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you have a good connected street network, then you can construct a network dataset on it. With this network dataset, use the GP tool Make Route analysis layer with the Find Best Order option to create route analysis layer. You need to load this layer with stops or locations to visit. You can use the GP tool Feature To  Point with the inside option to create one point per input street feature. Now you can load these resulting points as stops into the Route analysis layer. Make sure to set the curb approach to No U-Turn. And solve the route layer. It should give a reasonable result for what you are looking for.

If you have not use network analyst before, I suggest you run through some of the beginning tutorials.

Create a network dataset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Tutorial: Create routes—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Jay Sandhu