Public Transit Data Model

Jump to solution
04-07-2020 07:38 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm currently manually creating a network dataset for the MRT system with 12 lines following the "Network Analyst public transit data model" as described in the Help section.

However, I'm a bit confused about how to make sure that each MRT Line can run in both directions (from stop 1 to 25 and the other way round from stop 25 to 1 etc.)? Do I have to copy the lines in order to make them run in both directions? So far I have already prepared the follwing file:

• LineVariantElements, Stops (Transit_Network)
  • CalendarExceptions
  • Calendars
  • Lines
  • LineVariants
  • Runs
  • ScheduleElements
  • Schedules

If I understand everything correct, which station is followed by which station in my MRT system is defined by the "ScheduleElements" table in the "SqIdx" Field. So far I have only modeled one direction (for example, stop 1 to 25) for each MRT line and added the runs for that direction. In my data, the duration from station 1 to station 25 is the same as from station 25 to station 1, but the schedule (Departure) is not the same for both directions. For example, from stop 1 to stop 25 the first MRT departs at 06:03 but from stop 25 to stop 1 the first MRT departs at 06:07.

How/where can I define which station is followed by which station as well as the runs for the opposite direction (stop 25 to 1)? So far my thought is that I have to add the data for the opposite direction into the files "ScheduleElements" and "Runs", too. Is this correct?

I double-checked with the example provided by the "Create and use a network dataset with public transit data" Tutorial, but I couldn't find that routes have seperate entries for two directions in those files (or atleast I couldn't it figure out by myself).

Best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Christian.  Yes, you have to create separate LineVariantElement features for the opposite direction of travel.  The Public Transit evaluator only calculates travel times in the direction of digitization of the lines in order to prevent accidental backwards travel. You will need to draw a separate line from Stop 25 to Stop 1 and add all the associated entries in other tables to go with it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Christian.  Yes, you have to create separate LineVariantElement features for the opposite direction of travel.  The Public Transit evaluator only calculates travel times in the direction of digitization of the lines in order to prevent accidental backwards travel. You will need to draw a separate line from Stop 25 to Stop 1 and add all the associated entries in other tables to go with it.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Melinda,

thank you very much for your fast reply! I was not sure whether I really have to create separate LineVariantElements (12 MRT lines x 2 directions = 24 lines) or adjusting the tables would do just fine. I didn't think about the issue of accidental backwards travel before.

0 Kudos