no turn at junction

05-19-2019 09:41 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I am using global turns in my network dataset. I don't find help anywhere how to tell my network that it is not allowed to turn at certain junctions. I would think the easiest would be to remove the junctions but this option does not seem to be available as the layer is not editable. 

I tried to add a turn feature class but when building the network it completes with the warning "Cannot find at junction."(which does not even sound like proper English to me but that's only on the side...). 

So how I am supposed to create a turn to tell the network that it is not supposed to turn? For now I created straight lines on those roads from where you are not allowed to turn anywhere but do I need to fill in the attributes by hand?! 

(other cases include junctions where you are not allowed to turn left or right, how would I define those?)

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, that what I was trying to to.

I created a new turn feature class. I add turns by adding "links" between one edge and another, one vertex on the first edge, one vertex on the second edge. But neither are attributes filled nor does it seem to recognize them. When I build the network with my turn feature class added, I get that error "Cannot find at junction". I was trying to follow these instructions here Creating a turn feature—Help | ArcGIS Desktop but it didn't work the way I expected. 

EDIT: In ArcGIS Desktop 10.6 I can add the turns and the attributes are filled but they are not respected. No error when building the network...

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, the turn editing experience has not yet been implemented in ArcGIS Pro.  You would have to manually edit the attribute table of your restricted turns in order to make the turns work.  ArcMap does this for you automatically.

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

What is the sense then of creating a turn feature class if I cannot create the turns? 

Also, I managed to add the turns in ArcMap 10.6 but they are not recognized. No error when building the model but when doing the routing it is still turning in the wrong places. 

This is how it looks in ArcMap: 

Any idea what i could be doing wrong?

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi again, Nicole.  You can also digitize your turn features in ArcGIS Pro and then run the Update By Geometry tool to update the fields in the turn feature class to match the network edge features they intersect.

0 Kudos