Network distance between specific paired points by ID

Jump to solution
05-10-2018 01:07 AM
KentaOkuyama
New Contributor III

Hello, 

I'm trying to figure out a better way to calculate network distance between origins (home) and destinations (office) based on ID. 

I want to get a commute distance for all subjects in my data (homeaddress point to workaddress point)

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.0.

I have 2 separate point datasets which are already geocoded:

Each data set has 2 columns

data_house = personID, homeaddress

data_office = personID, workaddress

I would like to get an output dataset which has  personID and distance from homeaddress to workaddress.

I thought it would be very easy in the beginning, but looks like there is no specific analysis tool to get distance by ID at once. I am using OD cost matrix tool, which produces an output with distance for all origin-destination points.

I can create my desired dataset by using "summary statistic tool" or "dissolve analysis" by ID, but I don't think it would be efficient once the data got big (ex. I do not really want to do OD cost matrix for 30000 x 30000 pair...).

If anyone has an idea I will greatly appreciate it.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JamieTratalos
New Contributor

Hi Melinda, Dan, 

I've worked it out now. Thanks for your help. To clarify - go to the Network Analyst Toolbar, create a new route using the 'New Route' option, Select the 'Network Analyst Window' from the Network Analyst Toolbar - a window should appear on you screen showing the contents of the network analyst. Use this window to add the origins and destinations in the way suggested by Melinda

0 Kudos
AzadPalmqvist
New Contributor

I have almost the similar issue, I have to pint feature classes with many attributes .

1- A feature class for students (about 2500 students).

2- A feature class for Schools (30 schools).

I have a commom attribute in both dataset (School name)

I want to calculate the closest distance for each student to her or his corresponding school.

And I need to get all attributs  returned in my result list.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Kenta, Jamie, and anyone else reading this thread who might be doing similar workflows.

Esri’s Network Analyst Team is doing some research about customer workflows involving solving routes or calculating travel times and distances between known or preassigned pairs of origins and destinations.  It sounds like that's what you're doing here, although I know this thread is pretty old at this point.  We’d like to better understand our customers’ needs in this area and may use this information to design and develop improved tools and workflows.

If this workflow is still relevant to you and you have a few minutes and are willing, could you please fill out the attached survey and return it to the e-mail address included inside the document?  Alternatively, you can reach out to me (my e-mail address is in the document) to set up a meeting.

Thank you so much!!

0 Kudos