Network dataset connectivity using from/to elevation values

Jump to solution
09-20-2018 06:00 AM
sotokan80_
New Contributor III

I am using ArcGis 10.4.1 and network analyst extension.  In  order to create the network dataset i am using open source data. The attribute table is as follows;

A bridge has F_ZEL=1, TZEL=1

A road has F_ZEL=0, TZEL=0

In order to connect those two network elements  i change road attributes to F_ZEL=0, TZEL=1.

It works ok but i need to do that for 8.000 bridges. Is there any way to achieve this task using code? I have to mention that two adjacent element have no relative OBJECTID, OSM_ID, etc.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RachelApplebaum
Esri Contributor

Hi sotokan80 .‌,

You could find some way to identify locations where the elevation needs to change. Like, if a bridge is intersecting a road and there is no connectivity, then there should be 2 junctions there, 1 with the elevation of the bridge and 1 with the elevation of the road.

Using python, you could select all roads that intersect those locations where there are 2 system junctions.

Then read through the geometry of the roads and use the firstPoint and lastPoint properties to get the coordinates of the beginning and end points.

Then compare those coordinates to the coordinates of the overlapping junctions.

Grab the elevation value from on of those vertices and insert it into the appropriate from or to elevation field, depending on which coordinates of the line match up with the coordinates of the vertices.

That's just a very rough outline and you'll need to do some tweaking, but that could be a place to start.

Regards,

Rachel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RachelApplebaum
Esri Contributor

Hi sotokan80 .‌,

You could find some way to identify locations where the elevation needs to change. Like, if a bridge is intersecting a road and there is no connectivity, then there should be 2 junctions there, 1 with the elevation of the bridge and 1 with the elevation of the road.

Using python, you could select all roads that intersect those locations where there are 2 system junctions.

Then read through the geometry of the roads and use the firstPoint and lastPoint properties to get the coordinates of the beginning and end points.

Then compare those coordinates to the coordinates of the overlapping junctions.

Grab the elevation value from on of those vertices and insert it into the appropriate from or to elevation field, depending on which coordinates of the line match up with the coordinates of the vertices.

That's just a very rough outline and you'll need to do some tweaking, but that could be a place to start.

Regards,

Rachel

0 Kudos