Network construction

Jump to solution
10-23-2019 07:04 AM
DavidCuberes
New Contributor II

Hi,

When I try to create a network dataset from a SHAPEFILE I get the error: "could not create network dataset". I am following all the steps although most of what I found refer to using a GEODATABASE instead of a shapefile, so perhaps this is the problem. Can anyone help??

Thanks

David

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Elevations are not necessary to create a network dataset.

The most basic way to create a network dataset in Catalog is to right-click on the lines shapefile and choose New Network Dataset. Then Next through the wizard taking all defaults and then click Finish. That should create a network dataset. 

Can you also check if there is an existing network dataset based on the same lines shapefile in that folder? A shapefile can only participate in one network dataset at a time.

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

To create a network dataset you have to be in a file geodatabase

To create a Geometric Network you need to be in a file geodatabase or a personal geodatabase.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Robert - that isn't true.  Creating a network dataset—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Network datasets can be created from shapefiles.  This may require some troubleshooting.

David, is that the only error?  "could not create network dataset"

What is the path of the Windows folder where the shapefile sits?  Can you check the security/permissions of that folder - do you have write access?

0 Kudos
DavidCuberes
New Contributor II

I don't see any other error. The path is "D:\Dropbox\growth_shadow\cross_sections\RAILROADS\RR1826-1911Modified050916.shp". I am not sure what you mean... Do I need a permission yto access my Dropboox from ArcCatalog or ArcDesktop...

In another message I mentioned that I don't have elevation measures. Shall I try to create them? Also... these are railroads and I would like to map them on a county map. So I do have a county shapefile besides the railroads shapefiles. Perhaps the thing is that they should be both in a folder?

thanks again 

0 Kudos
DavidCuberes
New Contributor II

Kory, what do you mean by "Network datasets can be created from shapefiles.  This may require some troubleshooting." What kind of troubleshooting? I think this may be the problem I am facing...

thanks

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Do you have write permission to the folder where you are creating the network dataset?

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
DavidCuberes
New Contributor II

Jay,

Yes, it is my Dropbox account.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Just to rule out the issue of a dropbox, can you copy the shapefile to a new folder on your local disk drive and try again?

Also, what version of the software are you using?

Jay Sandhu

DavidCuberes
New Contributor II

I will try that, thanks. I am using version 10.5.

0 Kudos
DavidCuberes
New Contributor II

I did that but still no success. Do you think the fact that my data does not have elevation may be causing this? Can you point me to some online tutorial where a SHAPEFILE is transformed into a NETWORK DATASET?

thanks

0 Kudos