Network analyst solved route is nowhere near a road

10-23-2019 10:45 AM
ChandlerCallison
New Contributor III

I'm using network analyst to solve a route for fieldwork that I can load into Navigator. We have our own roads network that I use for this. For some reason, a part of the route isn't anywhere near an actual road. It veers off completely. I added a picture for reference. I've never had this problem before, but I've been editing elevations for on-ramps and such to make use of the interstate (which we didn't use in prior applications). Could I have messed something up? I've used the Build Network tool and don't get any sort of errors. What's going on?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

This problem may happen when the internal network topology is stale and the route is traversing an element id that no longer exists, thus it stitches together a straight line for the road it cannot find. 

Make sure the network has been built and the route re-solved on the built network.

Jay

0 Kudos
ChandlerCallison
New Contributor III

I created a completely new network dataset and rebuilt everything, and I'm still having the same problem. Could it be something in the roads feature class I'm using for the network dataset possibly?

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Couple of things to check:

Do you have multi-part line features in your inpit data? In that case, you can have streets that have gaps! You may want to use the GP tool, multipart to singlepart to get around that.

Also, how are you loading your stops? Are you using location fields by any chance? If yes, re-locate them or load them again using geometry. When you re-build a network, the location fields can become stale.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
ChandlerCallison
New Contributor III

I think gaps may have been the problem. I started troubleshooting problem areas and recreating those spots, but now I've gotta find a quick way to find those problem areas before routing. Thanks!

0 Kudos