Network Analyst - Route Solver

10-24-2011 11:51 AM
NagendraDhakar
New Contributor
Hi,
I have created a network data set (ND) specifying the impedance. But I want to change the impedance value of few features every time I run the route solver. But it looks like once you have created the ND, no matter what are the new impedance values in the attribute table, route will be solved based on the original impedance values present while creating the ND. Is there a work around to use impedance values dynamically?

Thanks,

Nagendra
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
You should post in the Network Analyst forum for better response to your network questions.

There can be many ways to achieve what you may want to do. Depends on how many edges are changnig weights. One way to make a change without much work is to add a scaled cost line barrier. So select the edge you want to slow down, and in the NA Window, right click on the Line Barriers and load it as a barrier. You can set it to be a scaled cost barrier at load time or aferwards bring up the properties of the line barrier and change it scaled cost and set the scale parameter. This is a percentage slowdown or speedup. So a value of 1.1 will slow that edge down 10 percent and 0.9 will speed it up 10 percent.

Regards,
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
NagendraDhakar
New Contributor
Thanks, Sandhu.
Are line barriers possible in ArcGIS 9.3? or it's new in ArcGIS 10?

Thanks,

Nagendra
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Line barriers, polygon barriers and scaled cost point barriers were all added in ArcGIS 10.0

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
AbdulAlgarni
New Contributor
Hi
I have made a route for 155 bus stops. the Route Solver gave me on route that incorporates all stops. I want to "divide " the route to many features. For example, the route from stop 1 to stop 2 is stored in individual record and the route from stop 2 to stop 3 also in individual records and so on. is there any possibility to divide my route to several routes each segment of the route is stored in a record in the same feature class. I am using ArcGIS 10.1
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
You can do this by assigning values to the RouteName field in the Stops sublayer.  Each pair of stops needs its own, unique RouteName.  To make this easier to set up, I recommend doing this:
- Add two fields to your input bus stop layer.
- Populate one of these fields with the name of the stop.
- Populate the other field with the name of the next stop.
- Use Load Locations for the Route Stops sublayer TWICE so all your bus stops are put in twice.  Use field mapping each time to map the new fields you created to RouteName.  The first time you Load Locations, map it to the first field you created.  The second time, map it to the second field.  That way you end up with each pair of stops having a unique RouteName to themselves.  The solver will then solve a separate route between each pair of stops.
0 Kudos
AbdulAlgarni
New Contributor
It works perfectly.
Thank you so much and greatly appreciate your help.

Best regards
Abdul
0 Kudos