Network Analyst OD Cost Matrix Yield More Results?

09-06-2019 10:08 AM
LindseyWinn
New Contributor III

Hello,

When I run the OD Cost Matrix tool (or Closest Facility), there are sometime records that are on a "non-traversable network." Is there a way to return more results for those missing records? What do you do when those pop up for you? Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

You will get that message if the locations (origins/destinations/facilities) are located on edges that restricted. In that case there is no path that can either start or end there.

One way to get around this is to locate on another close by edge rather than the closest restricted one. The way to do this is either bring up the OD or CF analysis layer properties, then on the Network Locations tab at the bottom, check on the option to "Exclude restricted portions of the network", and then load in the locations. The other way is to use the Add Locations GP tool to load the locations and then check on the same "Exclude restricted portions of the network".

You can read a bit more on this here:

Recalculating location fields—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
LindseyWinn
New Contributor III

Thanks, Jay! Sadly, neither of those suggestions worked - I really thought that would have solved the problem! Am I just out of luck since that didn't work?

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

How did you load in the locations after changing the exclude restricted settings? Were you loading by "network locations"? Those could be the old pre-computed locations that fell on restricted edges. You need to load by geometry.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
LindseyWinn
New Contributor III

I created a new OD Cost Matrix, then did the network settings (exclude restrictions), then loaded my locations. I used geometry, my search tolerance is 500,000 meters. Does this help?

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Perhaps there are some restrictions in the network (like a gated community) or disconnects that prevent finding paths. Do a solve where no restrictions are on. Does that give more paths? If hierarchy is on, try turning that off. If still no paths, then there might be disconnects in the network. What network dataset are you using?

If you open up the attributes of the origins or destination feature classes and look at the Status field, it should normally say OK. But for locations that were moved to due to restricted edges it will say Not on closest. Are these the locations that are not giving paths? OR the one's that have status OK that are not working. I think you will have to isolate some locations that do not work to figure out why paths are not being found. 

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
LindseyWinn
New Contributor III

I don’t have any restrictions on! I’m using ArcGIS StreetMaps network - do you have another network you’d recommend? I’ll try isolating, thank you!

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

There are some restrictions that are on by default. You will have to make sure on the OD analysis layer properties that all restrictions are turned off.  If you still cannot find some paths then contact Esri tech support to have them get the data in house and determine the reason why paths are not being found.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos