Select to view content in your preferred language

How to modify network dataset source (road lines)

Jump to solution
09-04-2019 12:37 AM
KajaWrochna
New Contributor

While working on a multimodal network dataset, I've been facing a problem with the modification of the source lines - once the ND is created, they cannot be modified. The only way I know to edit them is to remove the ND, make the modifications and then recreate the ND, which takes a long time (my network dataset has 12 attributes and 4 travel modes, which in this case must be recreated manually). I work in SDE, so as far as I'm aware I can't dettach/reattach the source to avoid removing the whole ND.

Is there any trick that would let me either save the settings (template?) of a network dataset (so that I don't have to create the attributes + travel modes manually each time I want to modify the source) or avoid removing it each time?

Thanks,

Kaja

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Klaudyna.  First, network source features should be editable even after the network dataset has been created.  Are you seeing an error message or something?  Can you paste a screenshot or the error message text?

As for your second question, yes, you can create a template from a network dataset and then re-create the network dataset from the template:

Create Template From Network Dataset—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Create Network Dataset From Template—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Those tools were added in 10.6, I believe, so if you have an earlier version, you will need to upgrade.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Klaudyna.  First, network source features should be editable even after the network dataset has been created.  Are you seeing an error message or something?  Can you paste a screenshot or the error message text?

As for your second question, yes, you can create a template from a network dataset and then re-create the network dataset from the template:

Create Template From Network Dataset—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Create Network Dataset From Template—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Those tools were added in 10.6, I believe, so if you have an earlier version, you will need to upgrade.

KajaWrochna
New Contributor

Hi Melinda,

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful and gave me a few ideas. I found out that each time I recreated a network dataset, I should have register it again as versioned. I couldn't edit the source (road lines), because there was an error saying that the table wasn't registered as versioned (even though it was). I think the cause of the error was the newly recreated non-versioned network dataset.

Thanks a lot,

Kaja

0 Kudos