Network Analyst -- No route between two locations

05-26-2020 09:55 AM
JeremyScott
New Contributor II

I am attempting to create routes between bus stops using Network Analyst. In some cases, I get an error message that says there is no route between two locations. I have played around with the topology in case there were issues there (increasing xy tolerance to 1ft) and I have also set the directionality for all segments to be bidirectional. Both of these were in an attempt to get a temporary solution. I am not exactly sure what to look for in determining what the issue is. I have attached a screenshot showing the two points that cannot be routed along with the error message.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeremy,

Looking at the data explains the issue. Your street line data is 3D! So even though the X,Y may be the same, the Z values are not. For example, the three lines around bus stop feature 20 that do not connect have the following vertices:

15411, 2011544.876, 787417.068, 247.212
15521, 2011544.876, 787417.068, 247.212
5530, 2011544.876, 787417.068, 244.100

Even though the X and Y are the same, the Z values of one of them, 244.1 does not match the 247.212 of the others. Visually:

You could either fix the data at the places the z's do not match or drop the z's and rebuild the network

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

The streets around junction 49 are not connected to anything:

I did a service area lines for 30,000 feet around junction 52 and say many disconnected areas: Purple is the reached service area lines over the blue streets. I put yellow circle around some of the disconnected edges.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
JeremyScott
New Contributor II

Jay,

I meant the OBJECTID off the bus route layer, not the junctions layer. I

know there are a few instances of 'islands' due to cutting the network

dataset to our service area. I may have to expand to ensure this does not

happen with the final product. However, catching the differences in the

z-coordinate was the difference (I am assuming you manually calculated this

or was there another step you did to find this discrepancy?). This was not

something that I would have thought and probably should have just removed

it from the network dataset to start with since I wasn't worried about

elevation. After removing elevation from the network dataset, I was able to

route 1031 bus routes (all but 9). I will dig deeper into these 9, but I

have a feeling they will be based on the issue you raised about the

'islands'.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Jeremy

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

I meant to say ObjectID not junctionID. Those 49 and 52 were the ones you mentioned, so I was using them in the examples. Glad that removing the 3D has given you most of the routes. The rest I expect are going to be disconnected portions of the network. Let me know if you are not able to find the root cause for them. 

As far as the 3D, I just looked at the line feature class properties and realized it was Z enabled, so used the Editor to examine the 3D sketch properties and see the 3D vertices.

Regards,

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos