Network Analyst Barriers Fields

Jump to solution
04-10-2018 06:52 AM
deleted-user-qSBucAQszJ_6
New Contributor III

I'm working on building a Network Dataset and want to include polygon Network Barriers. When researching the fields that should be included in a barrier all I can find is that there should be and Attribute_Impedance with one example Attr_Minutes. I'm guessing there are other fields that could be added but can't find documentation that states that. Does any one know of documentation that specifies what are other attribute possibilities?

This is where I'm currently looking and found documentation about polygon barriers and the field Attr_Minutes.

Barriers—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Thanks,

Chris

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Chris.  The fields in your barriers should take the form Attr_[Impedance attribute name].  So if your network has an impedance attribute called "TravelTime", and you are using TravelTime as the impedance attribute for the particular analysis where you will be using the barriers, the correct field would be Attr_TravelTime.

Impedance attributes are a property of your network dataset.  If you're building your own network dataset, you can give them any names you want.  Consequently, there is no set list of possible field names for barriers.  The valid values depend on how you've constructed your network dataset.

When you create a network analysis layer (like a Route or Service Area layer), the barriers sublayers should already have the appropriate fields in them, so you don't actually have to construct the fields yourself in advance.

Just in case it's not totally clear, barriers are NOT part of the network dataset.  They are part of the network analysis layer and specific to each analysis.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Chris.  The fields in your barriers should take the form Attr_[Impedance attribute name].  So if your network has an impedance attribute called "TravelTime", and you are using TravelTime as the impedance attribute for the particular analysis where you will be using the barriers, the correct field would be Attr_TravelTime.

Impedance attributes are a property of your network dataset.  If you're building your own network dataset, you can give them any names you want.  Consequently, there is no set list of possible field names for barriers.  The valid values depend on how you've constructed your network dataset.

When you create a network analysis layer (like a Route or Service Area layer), the barriers sublayers should already have the appropriate fields in them, so you don't actually have to construct the fields yourself in advance.

Just in case it's not totally clear, barriers are NOT part of the network dataset.  They are part of the network analysis layer and specific to each analysis.

New Contributor III

This is very helpful! Just to confirm the fields that could be used in a barrier are the ones found in the Attributes of the Network Dataset? So if I have Cost, Length, Minutes, and Oneway those could each but represented as Attr_Cost, Attr_Lenght, Attr_Minutes, and Attr_Oneway.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Only impedance attributes.  Oneway is probably a restriction, so that one doesn't count.

New Contributor III

Gotcha, Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos