Network Analist - Time on node

08-02-2010 06:27 AM
Igordel_Rio
New Contributor
Hi, how can I define the time of a node, by definig them :

For the shape of point's, each point has, two times, and the time of each node is de minimus of

- Time 1() - Arrive time()
and
- Time 2()- Arrive time()

i'm tring to make a fileld in the shape of point, field time, but where i can find the arrive time dependecy?!?!?!?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
Can you provide some more detail on what you are asking? Perhaps including a simple example or some further discussion will better illustrate the problem you are trying to solve.

Also, when you say "point", are you referring to a point that represents a stop in a route analysis layer, or are you referring to something else (e.g., a junction in your network dataset)?

If you are just trying to determine the arrive time at a stop that is included in a route analysis layer, then you must specify a start time for your analysis layer. To do this, right-click your analysis layer in the ArcMap table of contents and select 'Properties...'. Select the 'Analysis Settings' tab on the properties dialog. Check the box for 'Use Start Time', specify the start time for your route, and click OK to close the dialog.

Now, after you solve your route analysis, you can open the Stops attribute table and there should be a field called 'ArriveTime', which specifies the time of arrival for each stop in your Stops class.

If this does not answer your question, please provide some further details on your problem, and I will attempt to provide a more appropriate answer.
0 Kudos
Igordel_Rio
New Contributor
0 Kudos
Igordel_Rio
New Contributor
Something like this....

So, i define time start on options, ok, done, 8.00AM for example

Them solve problem, finding solution, i arrive ate node, bus stop at 9h00 am, should wait at 9h15am them go ....

The problem is something like time windows, bus should not exist violation time. In simple route problem, network analist permit having violation time, something that could not exist in a bus stop line, that exist departure times not flexibles.

The problemm, too, is that , i could have a rout that, i arrive at node at 9h16 anda have a 1min, of violantion time, in the solution, but i can't departure of node at 9h16 because bus departs at 9h15, and if i arrive at node at 9h16, i should wait at 10h15am.

So the solution i think found is that, the time to wait on a node , is minimus time of the diference between arrive time and departure time, like:

Arrive time 9h00:
Time on node:
min{Time1(8h15)-arrive time; Time2(9h15)-arrive time; Time3(10h15)-arrive time}
min{-45min; 15min; 1h15min}
min{ko; 15;75}
select 15 min to time on node!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
I see now what you are asking for. You are essentially wanting to build the bus schedules into your analysis, so that if the route arrives at a bus stop early, it must wait until the next scheduled bus departure.

Unfortunately, this is not something that is currently supported out-of-the-box in Network Analyst. However, there are plans to address this functionality in a future release.

In the meantime, you should be able to achieve this functionality yourself at the 10 release by programming a custom, time-aware network attribute evaluator, and making use of your bus schedule(s) in the evaluator logic. This would, of course, require you to be very familiar with our low-level ArcObjects API for the network dataset, and it would be no trivial task.

Let me know if you are interested in doing this programmatically, and I can offer some initial direction to get you started.
0 Kudos
Igordel_Rio
New Contributor
yes, please, give me some directions to do that.

Only be able to do that ou version 10? not possible in the 9?
0 Kudos
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
Yes, this will only be possible at the 10 release, since that is when we established the concept of time-dependent evaluators.

To get started, you will need to familiarize yourself with the basic network dataset evaluator concepts:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Types_of_evaluators_used_by_a_network/...

Next, you will need to review one or more of the existing network dataset custom evaluator samples we have available online:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//0001000001q2000000

http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html#//00010000036w000000

These will help you get familiar with the necessary API, evaluator framework, and workflows. Once you understand those samples, then you will need to create your own custom evaluator sample, similar to the developer samples.

Except, in your case, your new evaluator will now need to implement a new interface that was made available at 10: ITimeAwareEvaluator. This interface can be seen here: http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/componenthelp/index.html#/ITimeAwareEvaluator_Inte...

By implementing this interface, you are indicating to the Route solver that the attribute it is associated with is "time aware". This will cause the Route solver to pass the "arrive time" at a given network element during the search to the ITimeAwareEvaluator.QueryValueAtTime method on your custom evaluator. This allows you to return the appropriate delay, based on the current arrive time at that element relative to the available bus departure times in your schedule.
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
here you can see an example: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=72ef24542857413c8981f2e196f1bb13 on ITimeAwareEvaluator
0 Kudos