Multiple Sources Routed to Multiple Destinations

06-30-2011 01:27 PM
WilliamTrachtman
New Contributor III
Hi,
I am pretty new to Network Analyst (running arcview 9.3.1).  I took a course on it about 2 years ago, and I can use it to do the basics.  Anyhow, one of the higher-ups has decided that he wants routing to be done from 12 sources to nearly 600 destinations.  I can do this one at a time, but is there a way to do this in Network Analyst.  I am thinking that perhaps I can use model builder to do it once and then have it repeated until it is finished (over 6000 routes will be produced).  Can anyone give me some advice on this?
Thanks,
Clay
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
You can use the Closest Facility solver for this. Load in your 12 sources as Incidents and your 600 destinations as Facilities and on the solver properties have it solve for all 600 destinations. This will solve 12 by 600 or 7,200 routes in one solve.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
WilliamTrachtman
New Contributor III
Wow that was fast!  I will give it a shot.
Thanks 😄
0 Kudos
WilliamTrachtman
New Contributor III
It ran out of memory. Any workarounds or should I lower the numbers and try it again?
Thanks
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
What network dataset are you using? Does it support hierarchy and was the hierarchy set to be on? And how far apart are the points from each other? Perpahs some points are not connected and thus the entire network is being searched (if hierarchy is not can run out memory) and you may need to put a cutoff.

You can follow the suggestions in the following KB article to see if it will solve your problem:
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/38435

Also do you just need the distances between the points or do you need the actual route geometry for the routes.
If it is distances only you can use the OD solver instead of the CF solver.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos