Location Allocation distance

10-07-2019 02:04 AM
MutebAlotaibi
New Contributor

It is usually that Location Allocation model would link the nearest facilities to the nearest demand points. However, In my project, most of the demand points are serviced by the nearest facilities except about 11 points. I tried both Arcgis and Arcgis Pro both gave me the same results. In addition, when I use another facility layer the problematic points number change, I think its related to the location of the facilities as the demand points are fixed.

Could anyone please give any thought why this happened, even though, I used 4 type of network layers to reassure that no problem with network itself?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

What model are you running with Location-Allocation? The Maximize Capacitated Coverage can allocate demand points to further away sites if there is no capacity in nearby chosen facilities.

The other reason a point may appear to be allocated to some facility further away is due to the transportation network. For example, if you run a route from one of those 11 sites to a "closer" facility, do you get a shorter distance? The network may not have a path to the nearby facility.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
MutebAlotaibi
New Contributor

Many thanks Jay

-I did use Minimize Impedance

-I examined multiple transportation network.

- I did use two softwares : Arcgis and Arcgis Pro

- I used the route function to explore the distance of these 11 points and found another facilities nearer to them rather than the current facilities.

I am really confused why this happen?

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you use Minimize Impedance then this should not happen. One more thing to check is the network locations. When you loaded the demand and facilities, did you use network locations? They can get stale, especially if you are editing/building the network. You could make a new Location-Allocation layer and load in the demand/facilities using geometry and not network locations.If it is still happening then I suggest that you get in touch with Esri tech support and have them look at your data and settings.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos