Load locations for route with bearing values

05-11-2023 06:22 AM
meb323
by
New Contributor

I have a feature class of stops I want to load into a route in ArcMap 10.8.  My data has bearing and bearingtol fields.  When I go to load locations and choose the load from my feature class and use network location fields, my bearing values don't load with the data.  How do I get the bearing values to import and be used to calculate my route?  Or can this be done in ArcPro 2.9?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

They should get used automatically.  It just magically happens silently.

Yes, it works in Pro as well as ArcMap.  Here's some documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/bearing-and-bearing-tolerance.htm 

0 Kudos
meb323
by
New Contributor

meb323_0-1683836417609.png

So if the green circle was loaded in with a 265 in the Bearing field, shouldn't the route (the green line) be going to the west not to the north?

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Bearing may impact which street an analysis input is located on (part of the locating calculation), but it does not influence the direction a vehicle arrives at and departs from a location (part of the solve calculation). For instance, if the vehicle's bearing points north, the Bearing and BearingTol fields will help it to locate on a north-south road. However, at solve time, the resulting route may travel south from the location to achieve the shortest path to the next stop. Use the CurbApproach field to control the direction of travel arriving at and departing from a location.

In your example, 265 degrees is roughly east-west, so the point gets located on the east-west road (it also happens to be closest to that road and would have probably located there anyway).  If you used 0 degrees (north), it would likely have located on the north-south road, even though it's farther away.

0 Kudos