List of Road Segments Used in a Route

06-01-2012 11:21 AM
JackieWillwerth
New Contributor
Hello,

I am interested in calculating road usage from a transportation process.  Ideally I would end up with a table of origins, destinations and road segments used to travel between the two for each origin.  I have a large number of origin and destination locations and have used the Closets Facility tool to calculate the routes between each origin to its nearest destination.  Is there a way to get an output of road segments used for each route so I can aggregate the usage for each road segment?  Is closest facility the best tool to use for this process?

Thank you for your help!

Jackie
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricStipe
New Contributor III
Jackie,

I did something like this a while ago to gauge pedestrian flow throughout a network, but it was finding which individual segments of my total closest facility analysis contained all the different routes that traversed it. I'll explain my process below, and hopefully it will help you with yours.

Once I had my output feature class of all routes, I intersected it on itself. This split up each individual route into a series of segments and retained the original name of the route (the origin and the destination).

Then, in the resulting feature class, I created three fields (double), an X midpoint, a Y midpoint, and an X endpoint. I calculate each of these geometries, then concatenated them using Field calculator into one field. This created a unique ID for each segment, as there were many stacked on top of one another if multiple routes traversed a single segment.

From here I used this script: http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geoprocessing/details?entryID=F3368746-1422-2418-A061-D0079... to concatenate the identical values into a field, and then deleted the repeating identical entries using the Delete Identical tool.

My resulting feature class had a single set of segments that had an attribute with all of the routes that traversed that individual segment.

I hope this helps, and in the mean time I will think how you can alter something like this to fit your specific project.

Eric
0 Kudos
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
A little bit of tweaking with this tool may be of your help.

http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/ArcObjects-.NET-API-Code-Gallery/details?entryID=C8A2186E-1...

Hello,

Is there a way to get an output of road segments used for each route so I can aggregate the usage for each road segment?  Is closest facility the best tool to use for this process?

Jackie
0 Kudos
JackieWillwerth
New Contributor
Thank you both for your help.  I tried the traverse tool but it still did not provide the segment names, perhaps I needed to play around with the tool a bit more. 

I ended up solving the problem by using the closest facility tool followed by a spatial join of the route and road data.  A spatial join (Target: road data, Join: Route, "within") gave me an attribute table with each road segment listed for each route. 

Thanks again!
0 Kudos