Importing a turn feature class

07-20-2011 05:37 AM
RobertLindquist
New Contributor
I have created a turn feature class to prohibit certain multi-part U turns.  It is working just as I'd expect when I solve for routes.  The problem is:  we are using Navteq data as our base for creating the network dataset and Navteq provides quarterly data updates.  I would like to be able to import the turn feature class to the updated data (understanding that it wil only be applicable where Navteq features remain the same -- which is of course the majority of features).  I've tested importing my turn feature class into an older Navteq version and built the network dataset.  The problem is:  even though the majority of road features have not changed, my turn restrictions are not being honored as they were earlier.  I'm looking for a way to retain my turn restrictions when I update the (mostly unchanged) base data.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I have created a turn feature class to prohibit certain multi-part U turns.  It is working just as I'd expect when I solve for routes.  The problem is:  we are using Navteq data as our base for creating the network dataset and Navteq provides quarterly data updates.  I would like to be able to import the turn feature class to the updated data (understanding that it wil only be applicable where Navteq features remain the same -- which is of course the majority of features).  I've tested importing my turn feature class into an older Navteq version and built the network dataset.  The problem is:  even though the majority of road features have not changed, my turn restrictions are not being honored as they were earlier.  I'm looking for a way to retain my turn restrictions when I update the (mostly unchanged) base data.

When you say they are not being honored, are you getting any build errors?  Typically when you re-use turn features it's best to integrate them with the underlying network.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RobertLindquist
New Contributor
Joe:

I did get some build errors ... then I ran integrate and built the network, thinking that that would solve the problem, but the turn restrictions are still not being honored.  I'm not sure what to try next.

Bob
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Joe:

I did get some build errors ... then I ran integrate and built the network, thinking that that would solve the problem, but the turn restrictions are still not being honored.  I'm not sure what to try next.

Bob

Sorry. Should have mentioned the second and equally important step: After integrate, use update by geometry and rebuild the network.
That should just about do it....
RobertLindquist
New Contributor
Thanks Joe.
0 Kudos