How to deal with ERROR 030096: The maximum records for Origins limit of 1000 has been exceeded In ArcGIS Pro?

10-11-2017 02:18 PM
SomayehMafi
New Contributor II

Hello

I have run "Generate Origin Destination Cost Matrix" in "ArcGIS Pro". But I have got ERROR 030096 telling that the maximum records for Origins limit of 1,000 has been exceeded. The number of origins for my project is nearly 67,000 points, and I don't want to split them into 67 groups; hence I am looking for a way to increase the limit from 1,000 to say 67,000 in ArcGIS pro. 

Thank you in advance

15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You will need a field to use SplitByAttributes ....  

You can load this function in the Field Calculator and calculate the grouping in a numeric (long) field.  

Python parser!!!

The key is the seq_group(!OBJECTID!, XXXX) line.  In the example below, if the objected mod 10 equals 0, the sequential 'cnt' value increases, thereby starting a new group of values.

Give it a shot, then split by attributes on that field

cnt = 0
def seq_group(id, val):
    global cnt
    if id % val == 0 :
        cnt += 1
    return cnt
__esri_field_calculator_splitter__
seq_group(!OBJECTID!, 10)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Tested in ArcGIS Pro, should work in ArcMap

SomayehMafi
New Contributor II

Mr Patterson

Thanks for your prompt response. Your solution could work, but I prefer to increase the limit from 1,000 to 67,000 if there is any way to do that in ArcGIS pro.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it will break into groups of 1000, if you want groups of 67,000, then change the 10 to 67000

seq_group(!OBJECTID!, 67000)  # 67000 is the number of objects to form one group, could be 10, 100, 1000 whatever

Which means you didn't try it did you?  Once you have it numbered, which you can confirm rapidly, then you splitby attribute on that field you created

SomayehMafi
New Contributor II

How can I load seq_group function into my Field Calculator? I don't have this function in my Field Calculator . 

BTW, I still prefer NOT to split my origins into groups, and instead I prefer to increase the limit of "network analysis tool" from 1,000 to 67,000 (if there is any way) in order to not get ERROR 030096 anymore.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You either split or reduce your origins... surely some can be aggregated because they are really close together...

If notthis is the only other information, which basically says what we have already covered.

030096: The maximum records for <value> limit of <value> has been exceeded.

Description

The input features or rows cannot be added to the specified network analysis class as the maximum allowed limit has been exceeded.

Solution

Reduce the number of input features or rows that are being added to the specified network analysis class, or if possible, increase the limit.

JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro, the OD Cost Matrix itself does not have a 1000 origin limit. If you have your own local network dataset then you can solve for larger number of origins.

The 1000 Origins limit is imposed when you are using ArcGIS.com to solve this problem. This is a limit imposed on the OD service. How many destinations do you have? If you have a large number of destinations then the size of the computed OD become quite large and hard to transfer that data back. So try to use the splitting it as Dan outlined.

Jay Sandhu

SomayehMafi
New Contributor II

Thank you very much Mr. Sandhu.

The number of my destinations is around 4,000. Based on your explanation, it seems that there is no way to increase origin limit when using ArcGIS.com for solving the problem.

In case I use my own local network dataset, can I calculate time taken from origin to destination based on existing traffic on the roadway (NOT distance from origin to destination)?

0 Kudos
DavidDLong
New Contributor

Hi Jay,

I'm pointing to a local network data source, but I'm still getting the 1,000 record limit error.  Any thoughts on how to change that limit?

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

The Generate Origin Destination Cost Matrix Ready-To-Use tool always uses the ArcGIS Online service, and you cannot change it to use local data.  If you are indeed using this tool, that's why you're still running into the limit.

This tool has been deprecated in the last couple of releases of ArcGIS Pro, and confusion over the network data source was one of the reasons.  If you want to do a network analysis, particularly using local data, it's better to use the standard workflow of creating an OD Cost Matrix layer, adding locations, and solving, as described in this tutorial: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/od-cost-matrix-tutorial.htm

(And if possible, update to the latest version of Pro.)

0 Kudos