How to create point-specific, path-dependent buffers with Network Analyst extension

07-22-2010 06:33 PM
WendongZhang
New Contributor
hi Everybody I'm a beginner in GIS programming, I came across some problems when I try to create point-specific buffers

Suppose I have multiple points and a road network with 3 urban centers, first, I want to find the nearest arterial road for a particular point A using near function; second, do sort of path analysis to create a short path which connects the point A and urban center 1, third, buffer this path (ideally like the red zone in the attachment), finally intersect the buffer layer with land use map and do some spatial statistics analysis

The problem is I want to do this procedure for every single point (almost 5000) every 5 years, so is there a way to achieve this goal via Network Analyst extension? Someone mentioned maybe I need to use geodatabase too
Or is this complex metric workable?
Thanks a lot
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
It depends on what you mean by "nearest arterial road". If you mean "nearest" in terms of straight-line distance, then you do not need Network Analyst, and you can likely do this using a host of GP tools. If you mean "nearest" in terms of driving distance (or time) along the road network, then you would need Network Analyst.

Using Network Analyst, you can create a new Closest Facility analysis layer and load your "points" (e.g., Point A, in your original post) as Incidents. Then load the vertices of your arterial road features as Facilities. Solve it to find the closest single Facility (i.e., the closest point on your arterial roads). Next, to get your path from a point to an urban center, create a Route analysis layer, and load your point as the first stop and your urban center as your second stop. Then solve to get the path. Finally, buffer this path as you wish.

If this is all new to you, I would suggest you work through the Network Analyst tutorial, which should give you the information you need to get started. Let me know if you have any further questions or problems with the workflow suggested above (or if I somehow misunderstood you).
0 Kudos