Help to create accurate database and Routable Network

Jump to solution
03-07-2013 05:58 AM
AzizulAlam1
New Contributor
Hello,

I am attaching a shapefile. I tried to create route using this but I couldn't do that. In the database road type field contains following

1=Highway
2=Regional Highway
3=Flyover
0=Local road

There are few one way roads. I never worked with Oneway roads. Any help will be a great help to me. Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertGarrity
Esri Contributor
Hello,
Your one-way streets seem to be set up fine. Still, there is a video that explains how oneways work, as well as some other network-dataset videos you might find useful. They are available here: http://video.arcgis.com/series/54/network-analyst.

I was able to create a network dataset from your data, but there are some connectivity issues which, if ignored, prevent Network Analyst from generating more than the shortest routes.

One issue is that the streets connect at vertices, not just endpoints, so when you create the network dataset and are asked about Connectivity, set up "Any Vertext" connectivity.

Second, some of the lines aren't connected. Look at the attached graphic, which has an arrow pointing to streets that appear to intersect. However, if you zoom in really close, you'll see they aren't actually connected. You can either edit the streets and use snapping to make sure they connect or use the Integrate tool to auto-snap. Note that the lines need to connect at vertices or endpoints.

Robert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertGarrity
Esri Contributor
Hello,
Your one-way streets seem to be set up fine. Still, there is a video that explains how oneways work, as well as some other network-dataset videos you might find useful. They are available here: http://video.arcgis.com/series/54/network-analyst.

I was able to create a network dataset from your data, but there are some connectivity issues which, if ignored, prevent Network Analyst from generating more than the shortest routes.

One issue is that the streets connect at vertices, not just endpoints, so when you create the network dataset and are asked about Connectivity, set up "Any Vertext" connectivity.

Second, some of the lines aren't connected. Look at the attached graphic, which has an arrow pointing to streets that appear to intersect. However, if you zoom in really close, you'll see they aren't actually connected. You can either edit the streets and use snapping to make sure they connect or use the Integrate tool to auto-snap. Note that the lines need to connect at vertices or endpoints.

Robert
0 Kudos
AzizulAlam1
New Contributor
Thanks for the reply. Here is the corrected file. I have done the oneway successfully. But still there is a problem. When I am creating route within both way there is no problem, even when I am trying to route one way there is no problem. But when I am trying to create route from oneway road to both way or vice-versa. Its creating problem. Any help will pleased me. thanks again.
0 Kudos
RobertGarrity
Esri Contributor
No problem... Try running the Integrate geoprocessing tool--assuming you have the correct license level. This will create vertices where lines are touching.

The issue is that your lines may be touching one another, but in order to connect in the network, the lines need to touch at vertices or endpoints. The attached graphics show what I mean.

1_Without_Vertices.png is what you have currently. The blue dot (hard to see under the selected line) represent an endpoint, the green squares show vertices. There is an endpoint on one line, but there isn't an endpoint or a vertex on the line it touches. The resultant network won't connect there.

2_With_Vertices.png is what the street features look like after running Integrate. When I create a network with Any Vertex connectivity, the route can turn there.

By the way, you don't have to run Integrate. It's just a quick way to add vertices where features touch one another. You can add vertices and endpoints through editing or other geoprocessing tools.

Robert
0 Kudos