Network analyst or spatial analyst

Jump to solution
03-11-2013 08:48 AM
KevinKroll
New Contributor
I have a project where I need to calculate either the driving distance or linear distance from three facilities to the center (what I'm using as the average) of Zip code tabulation areas.  I've created a network dataset that works, but its extremely slow, taking about 45 seconds to calculate the route for about 4 test locations.  (my network is the entire state of Indiana)  Is there any way to get the network to calculate routes much quicker?  I've already tried to dissolve and have cut out all the unnecessary streets with little effect.  I have 154,000 locations to calculate distances for, so I cannot do the project with it running this slow.

Would it be quicker/easier to use spatial analyst to calculate linear distance?  I'm not very familiar with the spatial analyst extension, having only run through the tutorial.  If so, how would I go about it?  Any help on the subject would be appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
If you simply want straight line distance then you do not need a network. You can use a GP tool like point distance to do that.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Point_Distance/00080000001r000000/

As far as the slow route solving, there could be many reasons. First, if you are using many points to one (zip) point, then use the OD solver to solve it in one go rather than as seperate route solves. To look at performance issues, how far apart are your points? Are you using hierarchy? Have you tried using another network such as the free streetmap dataset that comes with ArcGIS?

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KevinKroll
New Contributor
I should specify that my output for this project is the distance (in miles) to the three facilities.  I will probably do a map as well, but it isn't completely necessary.
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
If you simply want straight line distance then you do not need a network. You can use a GP tool like point distance to do that.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Point_Distance/00080000001r000000/

As far as the slow route solving, there could be many reasons. First, if you are using many points to one (zip) point, then use the OD solver to solve it in one go rather than as seperate route solves. To look at performance issues, how far apart are your points? Are you using hierarchy? Have you tried using another network such as the free streetmap dataset that comes with ArcGIS?

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos