Finding the best stop sequence in ArcGIS Desktop

03-30-2011 12:25 AM
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi all,

I have read about this task in JavaScript API.
http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisserver/apis/javascript/arcgis/help/jshelp_start.htm#jshelp/...

Curious if anyone has implemented this solver in the ArcGIS Desktop by using Network Analyst?

So, we have a start point and a stop point. There are two hundred points which I want to get visited, but I do not know what is the best sequence for the route.

So what I want is to start routing from the start point, then go through all the intermediate stops and come to the end stop point. This will give me the order in which stops shall be visited. First (origin) and last (destination) stops on the list should remain fixed.

Provided that I have the road network and the points, what would be the most efficient way to implement this solver?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
The route solver already has the capabilities to find the best sequence. This is also called the
travelling salesman problem. As documented in the help page:

routeParams.findBestSequence=true;
routeParams.preserveFirstStop=false;
routeParams.preserveLastStop=false;
routeParams.returnStops = true;

Change the preserverFirstStop and the preserveLastStop to be true and the returnStops to be false so that you start and end at the first and last stop and everything else (best sequence) will be computed by the route solver.

Jay Sandhu
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi, Jay

Thanks very much for the feedback! Have totally missed the Reorder stops to find optimal route option in the Route Layer Properties 🙂 the problem is solved.
0 Kudos