Elevation: does From / To = To / From

02-03-2013 06:26 AM
JamesAegerter
New Contributor
assuming your network has no direction or turn restrictions?

In other words - when creating the elevation fields can I just use From 1 / To 0 (for a change of one level) regardless of whether the network is built from left to right or right to left.

From elev       To elev

thus is             1                  0

equivalent to     0                 1

Thanks in anticipation

James
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
assuming your network has no direction or turn restrictions?

In other words - when creating the elevation fields can I just use From 1 / To 0 (for a change of one level) regardless of whether the network is built from left to right or right to left.

From elev       To elev

thus is             1                  0

equivalent to     0                 1

Thanks in anticipation

James

Well, assuming also that you don't worrry about one-ways, then yes, you could just use that.  BUT, you need to make sure the lines connect. 

For example: one road segment is: 0, 1
                    second one is:1, 0
                    and the roads on either side are: 0, 0

If you had them all as 1, 0 or the other way, then your network won't work. I'm assuming you're wanting to show bridges?

Nicole
0 Kudos
JamesAegerter
New Contributor
Cheers

that's good newshttp://forums.arcgis.com/images/icons/icon14.png

Yes all other elevation codes are appropriate

actually its to control access to motorways (here in the UK - interstates in the US i guess) which are elev = 1 and make sure they only connect to the rest of the road network (elev = 0) at slip roads which uniquely carry the From To combination of 0/1.  For my purposes I don't use direction or turns - as I'm adopting some other mapping data for the roads and making the network from that (for a one off research need) I'm happy to live with all of the other assumptions this brings

James
0 Kudos
NicoleHanson
New Contributor III
Ok, good luck then!
0 Kudos