Directions in another language (VRP)

08-26-2020 01:55 AM
NelsonCosta
New Contributor

Why does solve vehicle routing problem make directions in another language, Portuguese for example, and VRP Layer / Ribbon in ArcGIS Pro not? (With the same network dataset)

Thank you

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

There is no ribbon or Directions pane setting for directions language at this time.  However, you can run the Directions geoprocessing tool and select the desired language in that tool.

If that doesn't give you what you want, there is a way to set the VRP layer's directions language via python.  Let me know if you want to learn about it.

0 Kudos
FCC_EnvironmentS_A_
New Contributor III

I have little experience in Arcgis / Python, but I am interested.

Can you comment on the following?
1) When there is a Portuguese language pack for Arcgis pro 2.6 (currently only for 2.5) it will be possible to have directions in pt-PT (Portuguese) by Network Analysis dropdown menu?

Language pack available for 2.5:

2) Why in Arcgis pro 2.6 the "Solve Vehicle Routing Problem" works differently than in Arcgis pro 2.5?

3) Why in Arcgis pro 2.6 the Pickup Quantities field is null in output Geoprocessing \ Solve Vehicle Routing Problem?

Lastly, sorry for my English.

Thanks a lot for the help.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

as for (2)

under the Network analyst section (quite a ways down)

What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.6—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

There is some information there, not sure it applies

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
NelsonCosta
New Contributor

Thank you, I will see this over the weekend.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Answering question 1:

There is no drop-down menu to select the directions language. You can select the language in the Directions geoprocessing tool, or you can set the directions language for a Vehicle Routing Problem layer using the following code in the python window:

# Get the current ArcGIS Pro project
proj = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject("current")
# Get the current map
mapObj = proj.listMaps()[0]
# Find the Vehicle Routing Problem layer in the map
# You might need to change the layer name string below if your layer's name is different.
vrpLayerObj = mapObj.listLayers("Vehicle Routing Problem")[0]
# Get the layer's solver properties
solverProps = arcpy.na.GetSolverProperties(vrpLayerObj)
# Set the directions language to Portugal Portuguese
solverProps.streetDirectionsProperties.language = "pt-PT"‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

You do not need to install a language pack to get directions in Portuguese.  All directions languages are available all the time, even without language packs. (This is new - ArcMap and older versions of ArcGIS Pro required a language pack installation to get directions in non-English languages.)

Answering question 2

We did not change the Solve Vehicle Routing Problem tool between ArcGIS Pro 2.5 and 2.6.  Can you further explain your question?

Answering question 3

I am going to ask a colleague to help you with this question.

0 Kudos
NelsonCosta
New Contributor

Ok. Thank you for the arcpy code.
Over the weekend I will try to make the directions and explain the differences between the Solve Vehicle Routing Problem do Arcgis pro 2.5 and 2.6.
One difference I can already say:
Loading Orders, Depots, Breaks ... (all layers), the Arcgis pro 2.5 only loads selected records, and the Arcgis 2.6 loads all records.

0 Kudos
HeatherMoe
Esri Contributor

With adding layer and ribbon support to VRP in ArcGIS Pro 2.6 we also updated the schema of the solver. More details on that can be found here. Although the Solve Vehicle Routing Problem Tool did not have any changes to the tool functionality, it now goes through a bit of translation code to change the schema to the new format to send to the solver. We have seen some changes in the outputs between nulls and zeros as a result of this. If you are seeing functional differences please report these so we can look into them.

And if you are working within the ArcGIS Pro application, I would encourage you to look into using the layer and ribbon capabilities we added for VRP in ArcGIS Pro 2.6. 

0 Kudos
NelsonCosta
New Contributor

At the moment, differences between Solve ArcGIS Pro 2.6 and 2.5

In Solve VRP when I try to load only the selected records, it loads all of them.

In the Output Processing, the field PickupQuantities in the Stops table stays zero when the same field in the Orders table has a number.

0 Kudos
HeatherMoe
Esri Contributor

Hi Nelson,

I have been able to reproduce the selection not being honored by the solve VRP GP tool. We are looking into fixing this. In the mean time if you are working within the app my best suggestion is to save a temporary copy of your feature class with just the portion you are interested in for the solve. And if you are working within a python script the Network Analyst module (arcpy.nax) will honor the selections when solved.

I, however, am not able to reproduce the output pickup quantities showing as zero instead of showing the number you have for inputs. If you continue to have this issue, please open a support ticket. 

0 Kudos