Direction Arrows in Network Analyst

04-15-2010 10:57 AM
SarahWach
New Contributor
Hello,

Is there any way to export or otherwise display the direction arrows created in Network Analyst outside Network Analyst?  I have created the network and displayed the arrows but others without the extension are wanting to see the arrows as just graphics.  Is this possible?

Thanks

Sarah Wach
Manitoba Hydro
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
LornaMurison
Occasional Contributor
If your flow is the same direction as the digitization of the lines, then you can just change the line symbology itself to contain arrows.
0 Kudos
SarahWach
New Contributor
I created the network, then checked off the box to display directional arrows (Sorry I can't get more descriptive, my network analyst extension isn't working at the moment).
0 Kudos
RobertGarrity
Esri Contributor
Network datasets can be viewed in ArcMap even if a Network Analyst license isn't installed. So your colleagues could simply add the network dataset as a layer to view the arrows.

However, it does take longer to draw network datasets in ArcMap than feature classes with the same shapes. This is because network datasets don't actually store geometries--they continually look them up from source feature classes instead. Therefore, you probably would want to use the source feature classes to render directionality. Here's how:

1. Add the source feature class to ArcMap. I'll assume it's called Streets.
2. In the Table of Contents, double-click Streets to open the Layer Properties dialog box.
3. Under the Symbology tab, click Categories > Unique values.
4. Click the Value Field drop-down list and choose the field that stores directionality. I'll assume the field is called Oneway and has the following values: FT for one-way streets in the from-to direction, TF for to-from, N for streets that don't allow travel in either direction, and <blank> for streets that allow travel in both directions.
5. Click Add All Values to add FT, TF, N, and <blank>.
6. Set symbols for each value. For FT, I would choose Arrow Right Middle (or Arrow at End); for TF, Arrow Left Middle (or Arrow at Start); for N, a red line; for <blank>, a gray line.

You can save the Streets symbology as a layer file and share it with your colleagues.
0 Kudos
SarahWach
New Contributor
To be more clear, I am using the Utility Network Analyst toolbar to create the arrows.  The data I am using is Hydrography and is structured based on junction codes, so I have a JUNCT_TO attribute and JUNCT_FROM attribute.
0 Kudos
SarahWach
New Contributor
OK, thanks.  I guess I need to work some more with networks...
0 Kudos
EmelieHealy
New Contributor II
Hey there,
Did you have any issues with the direction arrows not rendering when/if exporting to PDF? 
Thanks!
0 Kudos