Determine fire response time zones

05-17-2013 06:37 AM
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
The fire department wants a map showing 5 and 7 minute response zones around each fire station. The only time data available is response time to past incidents, and our street layer doesn't (reliably, anyway) have speed limit data. It does have road class, such as freeway, major arterial, minor arterial, collector, etc., so I could put a default value for each of those if it would help.But since the speed limit doesn't apply when responding, don't know if it would help.

I don't know how to determine the response time from this data, though. Rarely use Network Analyst, although I have done a little with it in the past. One of the tutorials has an example showing closest stations to an incident with travel time and directions, but this isn't exactly what I want. Is there a reasonable way to do this with the data we have? Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Distance is your only constraint, however, you could add penalties for slowing down at intersections.  This is readily done as a service area analysis within the Network Analyst Extension.
0 Kudos
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
Distance is your only constraint, however, you could add penalties for slowing down at intersections.  This is readily done as a service area analysis within the Network Analyst Extension.
Thanks Dan, but wouldn't I at least need speed limits? Like I said, I could default those, but don't have them currently. This would be great if I could do it. Love expanding my skills.
0 Kudos