Creating Multi-modal Network Dataset

08-20-2018 07:42 PM
PradyutSamanta
New Contributor II

1) If a node is shared among different connectivity groups, it will only act as a transfer point among the groups. How to create a node which is shared among different connectivity groups, but the node does not act as a transfer point (e.g. the node just representing a junction which is used by different type of modes; the nodes along a similar path which is used by mixed traffic but each node does not act as a transfer point)?

2) Can we put different flow value and their characteristics separately for both directions in a single link?

3) Suppose there are several activity areas along a local road. At which point of the local road, we will load traffic in the network as the activity areas are distributed along the road.

Your cooperation in this regard will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

For your 1st question regarding the nodes:  Nodes can be restricted but then all movement through them will get restricted. So the way to restrict movement at junctions is to add turn restrictions.

For question 2, each line feature is modeled as two edges in the network dataset representing the from-To and To-From directions. Each edge can have a different value. You can load these values from two separate fields when you are defining the network dataset evaluators. 

For question 3, an edge can have "one" value for an attribute. So what ever value you want to distribute on that edge will apply to the whole edge. If you want more granularity then split the edge into smaller edges to apply your values to smaller individual pieces.

Jay Sandhu

PradyutSamanta
New Contributor II

Hi Jay, thank you for your reply.

I didn't get the answer for the first question. Can we differentiate transfer point by changing connecting policy as Override or Honor?

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

A node is place where edges meet. It cannot distinguish between the edges to do something different based on some attribute of that edge. 

>(e.g. the node just representing a junction which is used by different type of modes; the nodes along a similar path which is used by mixed traffic but each node does not act as a transfer point)?

You are talking about some solver behavior on how it should deal with that node. Are you writing a custom solver? In that case you can manage the connectivity and decide what do when you arrive at that node.

There are various ways in a network dataset in how the connectivity at edge end points can be handled. One is with from/to elevation values on the edges, another is to use true 3D geometry of the edges, another is to use any vertex connectivity and yet another is to use sub-types. But in the end once a junction has some edges connected to it, the only way to restrict movement between a set of them is to add a turn restriction.

Jay Sandhu

PradyutSamanta
New Contributor II

A----------B-----------C----------D

I

I

I

E

Bus Route: A--B--C--D,            Junction: B            Bus Stop: A, C, D

One person starts journey from E point by Auto and follows the path E--B--C to reach at bus stop C, where he/she takes the bus to reach the destination D.

In the stated scenario, link BC, node B and C used by both Auto and Bus. But passenger transfer between those modes is possible only at node C (i.e. bus stop); not at node B (i.e. junction). How to differentiate between node B and node C?

Whether the following link (specially the "connecting policy") will be useful for solving my problem as stated earlier

Understanding connectivity—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

You can either duplicate edges so that the two modes do not share edges which causes the problem you describe or you can add the turn restrictions that restrict jumping from one mode to another. Then you can set up a travel mode for car and another one for bus and turn on the appropriate restrictions for each mode.

Jay Sandhu

PradyutSamanta
New Contributor II

Thank you once again.

I duplicated edges and created different feature class for different modes. But still they are sharing edges with each other (while creating new route) irrespective of their transfer point.

How to apply turn restriction in this case

0 Kudos