Clipping a network?

Jump to solution
03-03-2011 08:21 AM
DuncanRager
New Contributor
Greetings,

General question: What are the rules for clipping within a geodatabase with respect to network connectivity? Is the network maintained, just not at the borders?

Applicable example: I have a NHD dataset for a state that includes a functioning network, but I'd like a much smaller subset of the data... a particular county. What is the process for clipping within the geodatabase while maintaining network connectivity?

Thanks.

DR
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsafBen-Ari
New Contributor III

Hi,

The best way I found for clipping a network is using the "Distributed Geodatabase" toolbar. Over there you will find a button named "Extract Data".

In the advanced options of the wizard, there is an option for clipping the current display extant.

Using it will clip the network perfectly so the only needed thing left to do is "build" for the net.

Regards,

Asaf.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KlausDons2
New Contributor

Hi Duncan

I am also looking for a best practice guide for Network clipping. I clip the source features and then re-build the Network Dataset. Are there any suggestions for a better way?

Regards

Klaus

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

clip then create...otherwise there is no guarantee that the network will work at all

0 Kudos
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Just as a personal practice, I don't perform clipping within a geometric network. I always perform a selection, or selection by a particular feature. For instance, if you want a road network for city or state I perform a selection of all network line and point features within the city or state polygon, this obviously selects lines beyond the boundaries but it preserves the attributes within the line or points. You certainly can perform a clip but you have to pay attention to recalculating attributes (Meters, ToFrom_Minutes, FromTo_Minutes etc). Finally, I then rebuild the network.

AsafBen-Ari
New Contributor III

Hi,

The best way I found for clipping a network is using the "Distributed Geodatabase" toolbar. Over there you will find a button named "Extract Data".

In the advanced options of the wizard, there is an option for clipping the current display extant.

Using it will clip the network perfectly so the only needed thing left to do is "build" for the net.

Regards,

Asaf.