Calulating number of turns along a route

04-25-2012 03:00 PM
KateSchaefer
New Contributor II
Hello,

I'm am using NA's Closest Facility solver to calculate routes between incidents and the closest fire station. The processes works fine and I have about 385 different routes. Is it possible to calculate or find out the number of turns along each route? And better yet, whether it was a left or right turn? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
What are your goals? Is it know the number of turns (define turn!)?
That is, is it to know left/right turns only when street name changes? Or is it to know bends or turns in the road even when the street name does not change?

At a minimum, you could export the directions and count how many "left" and "right" words are contained in it!
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
NagendraDhakar
New Contributor
Hi Jay,
My goal is to count number of left and right turns in a route and turns should be made at an intersections. If nothing works out, I was thinking to read the XML file to get count of "left" and "right" words. Btw, how does ArcGIS decide left and right turns?

Thanks,
Nagendra
0 Kudos
NagendraDhakar
New Contributor
Also, do you know how to read A XML file, i am having difficulty in doing that. I am using following for this:

Dim xmlStream As esriSystem.IXMLStream
Dim xmlReader As esriSystem.IXMLReader

Set xmlStream = New esriSystem.xmlStream
xmlStream.LoadFromFile "D:\Directions.xml"

Set xmlReader = New esriSystem.xmlReader
xmlReader.ReadFrom xmlStream

I don't know what to do after this. However, I tried several methods of IXMLReader but couldn't get anything working.

Thanks,
Nagendra
0 Kudos
jyakypetter
New Contributor
Hi,
I am also annoying to find no. of turns (left and right) the length of a route. But I have ArcGIS 9.3, and I guess, this add-in is for ArcGIS 10 as it doesn't identify 9.3. So, it would be accommodating for me if anyone can please post the VBA code linked with the add-in?
Also, I know that turns can be access via traversal but when I use that with my network data set it gives me a blank shapefile, however, junctions and limits output are completely fine. That left me wondering if it has anything to do with the way I set up my turns while create the network dataset. That time, I checked "Yes" to the question "Do you want to model turns in this network?" with "Global turns" checkered as the turn source. Also, at the end, I recognized driving instructions by just as long as "Street Name Fields". Alternatively, I tried using INAStreetDirectionsAgent, but it gives me the directions in XML output. I couldn't find any other useful output from that. Even, with the XML output I don't know how to use it to get the number of turns�?��?��?��?��?��?��?��?��?��?��?��?��?��?��?�..
liposuction Miami
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
The VBA code is already linked into this forum post.
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos