Calculating walking routes along a network

08-13-2013 07:16 AM
DavidPatrick
New Contributor
Hi,

I've created a network consisting of footpaths, dirt tracks and junctions.  I would like to calculate a route using network analysis by giving ArcMap the time and walking speed that the route should be, and then getting back a route with the same beginning and end point, so for instance I'll calculate a route travelling at 1m/s or 4km/hr for 15 minutes.  I then would like a 1km route to be calculated back to me.

Additionally it would be helpful if I could be told what part of the route is passing junctions, along a footpath etc. These are stored in an attribute field in the attribute table.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Dave.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
it is not very clear what you are asking for - giving you back 1km ??? Could you explain a bit more?

For the second part of your question, you could create a text field that says dirt road, footpath, etc and then use the 'directions' feature when building your network dataset. then the result will give you something like a turn by turn 'text' directions with traversed distances.

regards,
0 Kudos
DavidPatrick
New Contributor
it is not very clear what you are asking for - giving you back 1km ??? Could you explain a bit more?

For the second part of your question, you could create a text field that says dirt road, footpath, etc and then use the 'directions' feature when building your network dataset. then the result will give you something like a turn by turn 'text' directions with traversed distances.

regards,

Hi,

Thank you for your response.  So I have included in the attribute table a speed field which is set to 4km/hr in m/s. Then I used the field calculator to create a time field which was the shape distance multiplied by the speed to get the time for each section of the pathway. 

So I would like to create a round trip with the same starting and ending point that would in essence for a 15 minute journey calculate a route from my beginning point 1km long around my network and back to the same point.  Or I could use a start point and an end point right next to each other, but instead of calculating the shortest distance between the two points I want to calculate a route around my network which would be 15 minutes long, hence 1km in total distance,

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RamB
by
very interesting question.

just some idea, (will work if you have limited number of starting points and you have directional attributes of speed/time)....

I propose that you use service areas. let us say you have n number of starting points, develop a service area of 7.5 minutes when you want to have a 15 minute travel time, and 10 minute for a 20 minute trip. Be sure to use, 'line class '  for service area.  This gives you an idea of where you should place your second point (destination point) and you know points from where the user can turn and come back. (this is assuming that time taken in to direction is same as time taken in from direction)

You can also you the topostion and fromposition parameters to play around for a little bit of custom solution. see here

I
f you have a detailed directional network, you could create a simple route with maximum distance 10 minutes and be very careful that your destination point is behind your source point (based on your road direction). By doing this, the route will try to go around the network to come back to your destination within the maximum distance you specified (if a route exists) again this is again on the wierd assumption that walking people will also switch road sides when walking in the reverse direction. 🙂

Not sure if this makes sense, but just some initial thoughts to build on?

kind regards,
0 Kudos
DavidPatrick
New Contributor
very interesting question.

just some idea, (will work if you have limited number of starting points and you have directional attributes of speed/time)....

I propose that you use service areas. let us say you have n number of starting points, develop a service area of 7.5 minutes when you want to have a 15 minute travel time, and 10 minute for a 20 minute trip. Be sure to use, 'line class '  for service area.  This gives you an idea of where you should place your second point (destination point) and you know points from where the user can turn and come back. (this is assuming that time taken in to direction is same as time taken in from direction)

You can also you the topostion and fromposition parameters to play around for a little bit of custom solution. see here

I
f you have a detailed directional network, you could create a simple route with maximum distance 10 minutes and be very careful that your destination point is behind your source point (based on your road direction). By doing this, the route will try to go around the network to come back to your destination within the maximum distance you specified (if a route exists) again this is again on the wierd assumption that walking people will also switch road sides when walking in the reverse direction. 🙂

Not sure if this makes sense, but just some initial thoughts to build on?

kind regards,

Hi,

Thank you for your answer it has definitely helped me and can see that I can calculate, for example, everywhere I can walk within my network within a 10 minute time frame from a given point.  Would you have any idea though how I could generate a round trip from a single point for 10 minutes around my network? eg starting and beginning from the same single point, or even two points right next to each other to have a 10 round trip.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
RamB
by
Same point same road segment will be impossible to solve according to my understanding. the best bet you can do is to make use of 'side of kerb' (right side or left side) approach. If you make it same point, same side of kerb, same segment. i cannot think of any solution 😞

You should atleast have starting and ending on either side of the kerb on a two directional link. IN such a case, you have an error equal to the width of the carriageway of the road, which to me would be a maximum of 20-25 meter for a 8 lane road, and for me a 25 meter error for a 1km (15 min walk) is acceptable (2.5% error)

regards,
0 Kudos