Build published network dataset

Jump to solution
03-01-2013 07:35 AM
ab1
by
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

I'm working with a network dataset published in a NA service.
I'd like to be able to build that NA dataset without having to stop the NA service. Is that possible ?

The task of building the network dataset is part of a geoprocessing model that is going to be called by a Flex web client. So stopping the NA service while executing the geoprocessing model is not worth considering.

When I build the NA dataset, with the NA service activated, I get the following error:
ERROR 000464: Cannot get exclusive schema lock.  Either being edited or in use by another application.
Cannot acquire a schema lock because of an existing lock.
Failed to execute (BuildNetwork).

Do you have any hints?

Regards.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi,

Do you use 10.1? In 10.1, when I have published a network dataset, I am able to edit some edges and then build the network dataset in ArcMap without stopping the map service with the network analysis capability enabled. I think it is the schemaLockingEnable property that might impede you rebuilding the network dataset (but again, I have this value set to true and still able to rebuild the network dataset and edit the edges in ArcMap).

If using 10.0, this property can be edited manually in the .cfg file.

I am not sure but it might the GP model that obtains the lock on the network dataset before trying to rebuild it and not necessary the map service. Try to rebuild the network dataset manually first to see if it is true.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi,

Do you use 10.1? In 10.1, when I have published a network dataset, I am able to edit some edges and then build the network dataset in ArcMap without stopping the map service with the network analysis capability enabled. I think it is the schemaLockingEnable property that might impede you rebuilding the network dataset (but again, I have this value set to true and still able to rebuild the network dataset and edit the edges in ArcMap).

If using 10.0, this property can be edited manually in the .cfg file.

I am not sure but it might the GP model that obtains the lock on the network dataset before trying to rebuild it and not necessary the map service. Try to rebuild the network dataset manually first to see if it is true.
0 Kudos
ab1
by
Thanks a lot for your answer.
I'm using 10.0.
I changed the cfg file as you suggested and now it works very well.

Thanks again 😉
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Glad it worked out well 🙂
0 Kudos
ab1
by
It was too unbelievable to be true!
Now I have the same error again. All web services are stopped. When I execute the geoprocessing in ArcMap I get the message below:
Cannot get exclusive schema lock. Either being edited or in use by another application.
Cannot acquire a schema lock because of an existing lock.
Failed to execute (BuildNetwork).

I tryed closing ArcMap and ArcCatalog, logging out and logging in but the error is still there!
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Try to restart the ArcGIS Server services if this option is available for you - perhaps there is still some lock on the data that was created before you've changed the .cfg file property. Restart the machine if restarting the ArcGIS Server service doesn't help.

Again, I'd also check if there is lock acquisition that is going on during your geoprocessing workflows.
0 Kudos
ab1
by
I restarted the ArcGIS Server machine without any positive results.

In the geoprocessing which is a python script, I create update and search cursors on data participating in the network dataset. Then I delete those cursors. After that, I perform an integrate operation on the features participating in the network dataset and finally, I build the network.
I don't see where a lock could have been placed, besides the one created by the cursors (that I delete after using).

When I try to manually build the NA dataset (after stopping the services) I get an error : building network dataset failed. Without any further explanation!

NB: the network analysis dataset is stored in a file geodatabase.
0 Kudos
ab1
by
I created another network dataset and it works fine, without locking problems (besides the lock created by the map service with NA option).
So I suppose there is some lock on the other dataset that couldn't be deleted correctly.
0 Kudos