Biking and Walking directions

Jump to solution
12-30-2013 09:23 AM
RoySP
by
New Contributor III
I am new to Network Analyst so this may be a basic question.

We are looking to create an application that displays biking directions when cycling is chosen as mode or walking directions when walking is selected as a mode and driving directions when driving is selected as mode. (similar to google maps)

In Network Analyst, we can choose start and end points and solve to create a route.
But how can you specify to show only biking directions or walking directions.

Is this exclusively handled through attributes and evaluators?
Or do we have to create different networks for biking, walking and driving and depending on what directions the user wants, point to that network dataset?

Thank you
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

First of all you need a thorough understanding of network analyst, atleast the tutorials. And then I suggest you to focus on the section of 'restrictions'. Please go through this document . IN this document you will see the last example on how to get a good truck route. In a similar fashion, you can make a network that is only accessible by bikes, only for walking etc. This is what I refer to as 'modal' networks in another post that you mention. Once you are familiar with network analyst, and above tutorials, you will be able to ask more specific questions and the users here will be glad to give suggestions. 🙂 good luck.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RamB
by
Hi,

First of all you need a thorough understanding of network analyst, atleast the tutorials. And then I suggest you to focus on the section of 'restrictions'. Please go through this document . IN this document you will see the last example on how to get a good truck route. In a similar fashion, you can make a network that is only accessible by bikes, only for walking etc. This is what I refer to as 'modal' networks in another post that you mention. Once you are familiar with network analyst, and above tutorials, you will be able to ask more specific questions and the users here will be glad to give suggestions. 🙂 good luck.

Regards,
0 Kudos
RamB
by
Hi,

I forgot to answer the second part of your question. Driving directions are a direct output of Network Analyst. For this to work properly, you have to make sure that all your streets have a name. Which means you street layer has a string attribute for all features.

However, users have problem getting directions via a roundabout. But I think it is possible to workaround this problem with a slight coding logic. I have not done it myself, but I feel it is very much possible. For basic use, the driving directions that come as a result from network analyst are good enough.

regards,
0 Kudos
RoySP
by
New Contributor III
Hi Srirama

Thanks for your response.

Yes I will look into the document you pointed to and see if that helps out!
0 Kudos