Best route to the train station site for pedestrians

03-25-2016 08:13 AM
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have been working with spatial analyst tutorial on a Personal project. Now I am working on FINDING THE BEST ROUTE(for creating a road to access the new school site).

I would like to apply the concept to my project of Finding the best street in a city to be turned into Pedestrian ONLY street for accessing the new train station site[MY Project]...

I am sure I will need data such as traffic count, traffic accident, green spaces,  etc..??. Which I have...

Can anyone point me to a tutorial that I can use to create such a spatial analysis?

How to determine what street can/should be pedestrian?

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you in advance.

C

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Carole,

It sounds like you would benefit from using the Network Analyst extension (if you have this). Here is a tutorial on using this:

About the ArcGIS Network Analyst extension tutorial—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much.

I will look into that now

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Another potential approach besides Network Analyst would be to use the Spatial Analyst extension to do Suitability Analysis and/or Cost-Weighted Distance analysis.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Chris...

Very helpful.

C

0 Kudos
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

I decided to use Spatial analyst to find the best route from multiple parks(A, B, C,D) to a destination X.

though, the tutorial that I am following is looking at creating a new road.so, it uses Land use to find a cost surface map.

In my case, I do not need to create a new road because I have existing roads.

1. can I skip this step? How do I go about it?

2. Can I generate distances from all parks (within 1Mile  of the destination X) at once or do I need to do One park at the time?

Thank you again

C

0 Kudos
CaroleWacta
Occasional Contributor

I was able to get this far, not sure where to go from here...

Suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you. C'

0 Kudos