Batch Routes from Attribute Table

Jump to solution
04-07-2021 11:59 AM
David_Gardiner
New Contributor II

I wanting to create and display multiple driving routes calculated from two sets of coordinates (Start & Stop) that exist from within the same attribute table. I suppose its much like a batch process, taking each set of coordinates, calculating the route distance, display and then move onto the coordinates in the next row until there are no rows left. I'm looking to have a mass of routes cobwebbed in the display so that I can analyze fro crossing patterns.

Can this be done somehow please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

You can use the Network Analyst Route solver to do this.  Here is a tutorial introducing the basics of the Route solver: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/route-tutorial.htm

You do not need a batch process. You can calculate the Route between each start/stop pair all at once as long as you set up the problem correctly. To specifically create routes between paired start/stop locations, you need to generate a unique Route ID for each pair. When you load all the point locations into the Stops sublayer of the Route layer, map the Route IDs into the RouteID field. Each unique RouteID value in the Stops sublayer will be calculated as a separate route.

Example Stops:

StopID RouteID

Person A  Route 1

Destination A Route 1

Person B Route 2

Destination B Route 2

The output will contain two routes, one from Person A to Destination A and another from Person B to Destination B.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Moved to the Network analyst space.  It was languishing in the Spatial analyst

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

You can use the Network Analyst Route solver to do this.  Here is a tutorial introducing the basics of the Route solver: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/route-tutorial.htm

You do not need a batch process. You can calculate the Route between each start/stop pair all at once as long as you set up the problem correctly. To specifically create routes between paired start/stop locations, you need to generate a unique Route ID for each pair. When you load all the point locations into the Stops sublayer of the Route layer, map the Route IDs into the RouteID field. Each unique RouteID value in the Stops sublayer will be calculated as a separate route.

Example Stops:

StopID RouteID

Person A  Route 1

Destination A Route 1

Person B Route 2

Destination B Route 2

The output will contain two routes, one from Person A to Destination A and another from Person B to Destination B.

David_Gardiner
New Contributor II

Many thanks.