Automation Exception:Item Not Found in this Collection. in 'DAO.Fields'

04-23-2013 03:38 AM
pavan_kumarmuttigi
New Contributor
Hi,

Can any one please let me know like whether the this query is supported over Feature Class which is got from the File GeoDatabase?

What I am trying to do is, I am making the query over the Feature Class which is got from File Geo Database. I am trying with the query  as which contains the "ORDER BY" clause. I am getting the following exception.

Automation Exception: Item Not Found in this Collection. in 'DAO.Fields'.

Can any one please let me know whether "Order by" is support by the File Geo DataBase. I checked with the database fields I am using with my query. It is perfectly correct. BTW, I am trying all this process programmatically using Java.

Any Help is much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
From the online 9.3 help:

File geodatabases do not support all the features and functions available for personal geodatabases. At ArcGIS 9.2, the most commonly used functions not supported by file geodatabases include DISTINCT, GROUP BY, and ORDER BY, and the set functions AVG, COUNT, MIN, MAX, and SUM are not supported outside subqueries. Support for some of these is likely to be added in future releases.

And From the online 10.0 help:

Because you are selecting columns as a whole, you cannot restrict the SELECT to return only some of the columns in the corresponding table because the SELECT * syntax is hard-coded. For this reason, keywords, such as DISTINCT, ORDER BY, and GROUP BY, cannot be used in a SQL query in ArcGIS except when using subqueries. See SQL reference for query expressions used in ArcGIS for information on subqueries.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
pavan_kumarmuttigi
New Contributor
Hi Joe Borgione,

Thank You for giving  info on the SQL Queries in ArcGIS . It helps me a lot.

Thank You once again.
0 Kudos