ArcMap - Creating new route from scratch

Jump to solution
12-07-2012 05:35 AM
ObiOfoegbu
New Contributor
Hello,

I am evaluating a trial copy of ArcMap and would like to plot routes on the map so I can later optimize using Network Analyst. I am new to the software and so I have been having a lot of trouble with it.

I was able to import my data from excel and geocode origins and destinations separately. These have been saved as two different shape files layered on the map.

I would like to plot of a route of the different origins and destinations using these two distinct shape files. I tried creating a route feature class but kept getting error messages. Can someone help??

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
Ah yes, that's probably the easier way to do it.  Geocode them separately, then use Load Locations twice, using the Route_Name/RouteID for field mapping both times.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Obinem.

If you're new to Network Analyst, it would probably help you to read through the Route tutorial here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Exercise_3_Finding_the_best_route_using_a_....

However, it sounds like you already have a pretty good start on what you're trying to do.

Currently, we don't support batch routing the way you're trying to do it, with two separate tables of origins and destinations.  If the only thing you care about is creating a table showing the time or distance it takes to get between each of those origins and destinations, consider using the Origin-Destination Cost Matrix solver instead of Route.

If, however, you want to be able to display the routes on the map, you can get around the problem by doing the following:
- Put all your origins and destinations in the same file so you have only one table.  You can do this by just geocoding them all at the same time.
- Are you trying to route between specific pairs of points?  If so, give each point in your table an identifier so that the origin and destination both have the same identifier.  So, create a field in your table called RouteID or something and fill it so that each pair of points you want to route between has the same RouteID, unique from all the other RouteIDs.
- When you "Load Locations" in your Route layer, look in the "Location Analysis Properties" box in the Load Locations dialog.  There should be a field on the left that says "RouteName".  Click the blank space to the right of it to get a drop-down showing the fields in your table, and select the RouteID field you created.  This tells the solver that the points that have the same RouteID should end up in the same route.  You'll essentially be creating a bunch of different routes at once for all your pairs of points.
- Change any other settings you want to change and click the Solve button.

Let me know if that helps.  Also, if you're getting error messages, let us know what they say so we can give you more specific advice.  Good luck.
0 Kudos
ObiOfoegbu
New Contributor

- Put all your origins and destinations in the same file so you have only one table.  You can do this by just geocoding them all at the same time.
- Are you trying to route between specific pairs of points?  If so, give each point in your table an identifier so that the origin and destination both have the same identifier.  So, create a field in your table called RouteID or something and fill it so that each pair of points you want to route between has the same RouteID, unique from all the other RouteIDs.

I am trying to route between specific pair of points and each route has a unique identifier like a Route_ID. Quick question, how do you geocode the addresses all at once if both addresses are in the same row in the table? I added data using excel sheet and origin and destination addresses are same row and geocode wizard doesn't let you geocode multiple addresses. Thanks.
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
It sounds like you'll have to modify your Excel table.  You will need a single row for /each/ address point in order to geocode them.  It could look something like this:
Point1 Address1 RouteA
Point2 Address2 RouteA
Point3 Address3 RouteB
Point4 Address4 RouteB
Point5 Address5 RouteC
Point6 Address6 RouteC
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
You should geocode your excel sheet twice and get two sets of point feature classes output from this process. Now you can load them in to the same route layer making sure to map the common ID as the RouteName and you will get the route sovler set up to solve paths between pairs of stops.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
Ah yes, that's probably the easier way to do it.  Geocode them separately, then use Load Locations twice, using the Route_Name/RouteID for field mapping both times.
0 Kudos
ObiOfoegbu
New Contributor
Thanks Guys. Since I have the table geocoded separately for Origin and destination. I will try loading them separately since I have a unique identifier. I will try that out and see if it works.
0 Kudos
ObiOfoegbu
New Contributor
Hey,

I really appreciate all the help. I was able to plot routes between my multiple start and stop points. Now I am trying to determine the most frequent routes/lanes (pretty much busiest highways, etc) using Network Analyst to determine best location for a facility. Is there an easy way to do this with NA tool??

I was going to try the facility allocation tool - guess a location and see demand points. I am guessing there is an optimized way of figuring this out.
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Obi.  You might be able to get some of the information you want using the Copy Traversed Source Features tool (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//004800000023000000).  This tool can tell you which road segments were used after you solve a route.  You can play with the resulting tables to calculate the number of time each segment was traversed on your routes, and thereby calculate the most-used streets.

Depending on your application, Location-allocation might be a good tool for you. You'll need a layer of demand points, points showing where potential customers live or are located.  It doesn't really let you use "busy streets" exactly, although you could create a demand point at an intersection and use a traffic count to weight it or something.

Let us know if you need further help.
0 Kudos
ObiOfoegbu
New Contributor
Hi Obi.  You might be able to get some of the information you want using the Copy Traversed Source Features tool (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//004800000023000000).  .

I tried Copy traverse Source features tool and kept getting error messages. The messages are 000622 and 000732 which indicate "Failed to Execute, Parameters are not valid" and "Input Network Analysis Layer: Dataset Route does not exist or is not supported". Seems like something is wrong with my dataset. My output location was set at default.gdp using that tool.

Any pointers would be helpful.
0 Kudos