Adding Turns to Network Dataset

11-24-2010 11:32 AM
CraigSteverango
New Contributor
Hi Everyone,

I have route data with unique identifiers for links on a road network.  I have created a network dataset and created a turn file.  I have another file that contains the unique identifiers for links and the links that they do not allow turns onto (i.e. UID: 7942409 does not allow left turns onto UID 5931616). 

My question is whether there is a way to add this information into the turn feature file used in the network without having to manually edit each turn (there are about 20,000)?  For the turn feature file, you need to know the edges and not the id's that relate to the original route file.  I have tried reading up on this but can't seem to find a solution.  Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig.

p.s. the turn file is just a list of uid's and restricted uid's and a time, if necessary.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JacksonChu
New Contributor
Stevy3;57270 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Hi Stevy3

How do you create a turn file?
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jackson,

I answered your other post but thought I would include the comments here as well.

The Turn Feature Class toolset  contains tools used to build and edit  turn data. The tools in the toolset allow  you to create new turn  feature classes, convert existing ArcView or ArcInfo  Workstation turn  tables to turn feature classes, and maintain the integrity of  existing  turn features based on their geometry or an alternate ID field in cases   when the reference source features are updated.

Overview of Turn Feature Class toolset
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesk...0011000000.htm

The Network Analyst tutorial  exercises are a good starting point for  learning ArcGIS Network Analyst. They  provide data, steps, and  conceptual information on how to accomplish specific  goals, such as  building network datasets and performing various network  analyses.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesk...000005r000000/

Cheers,
Denise
0 Kudos