Adding locations is slow and are Unlocated

08-26-2016 01:32 PM
IrvLustig
New Contributor

I am using ArcMap 10.2.2 and a VERY new user.  I have the StreetMap Premium for ArcGIS North America TomTom data, 2016 Release 1.

I am testing how to create OD cost matrices.  I create a simple map in ArcMap, creating one layer from the "Routing" feature from the NorthAmerica.gdb database into my workspace. Using NetworkAnalyst, I click "New OD Cost Matrix".  I zoom into a city of my choosing (e.g., San Francisco), and click "Origins" in the "Network Analyst" window.  Then I do "Create Network Location Tool" and then click a point on a street on the map.  It takes over 20 seconds for ArcMap to respond, and then the point is "Unlocated".

I do the same test with SanFrancisco.gdb in the tutorial, and have no issues, and the point gets located, so I think maybe something is missing from the data I copied over from the 7 DVD's.  Is there a way to tell?  I'd rather not spend the time copying the data again.  I think it might have something to do about not having a spatial index, but don't know which spatial index I should create (i.e., on which feature of the network).

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

First, are you sure the Streetmap Premium network dataset is set as the active network dataset when you create your new OD Matrix layer?  Check the Network Analyst toolbar to see which network is selected.  Maybe you inadvertently created the OD layer referencing your tutorial dataset, and then you added a point in some faraway location, which is what caused it to fail to locate.

If that isn't the problem, then maybe there was a copy error when you copied the network from the DVDs.  The Streetmap Premium data should be ready to go without any further steps.  If re-copying doesn't fix the problem, then you should talk to Esri Support (Esri Support Home) because it doesn't sound like the kind of problem that would be easy to diagnose and fix on GeoNet.

IrvLustig
New Contributor

The "Routing_ND" from StreetMap Premium was selected.  I had someone else try it, and he has the same problem, so now we're convinced that the data is corrupted on the DVD's.  We'll contact support to figure it out.

0 Kudos