A Problem in creating a new network dataset

06-29-2014 11:36 PM
KhaledAhmed
New Contributor II
Its my first time to use Network Analyst. I am trying to perform exercise 1,2 in the tutorials " creating a network database". But i always get an error in building the database.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I see this is your first post so please allow me to give a little guidance; many times more details are helpful and this is one of those times.  If you can provide what version ArcGIS you are using along with the service packs applied that would help out.

Just a guess but it sounds like you have a computer network issue.  Is the geodatabase you are trying to create the network dataset within on a shared drive?  Can you create feature classes okay within this geodatabase?
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
When you create a network dataset, it automatically creates a point feature class containing system junctions indicating the locations where edges in the network connect.  Did you, by any chance, delete the junctions feature class intentionally or by accident?  Otherwise, as Joe suggested, it might be some kind of error reading or writing to the geodatabase.  Have you tried doing the tutorial more than once, and did you get the same error each time?
0 Kudos
KhaledAhmed
New Contributor II
Dear Joe Borgione,
Thanks for the reply. I am using ArcGis 9.3 on PC workstation, windows 7, service back 1.
answers to your questions:
1- No, the geodatabase which i am trying to create the network dataset is in my PC drive not shared drive.
2- Its ok, i can create a feature classes within this geodatabase.

I will check our network setting again. But can i ask, how can a computer network issue affects the results of ArcGIS?
0 Kudos
KhaledAhmed
New Contributor II
Dear Melinda Morang,
Thanks for the reply. No i didn't delete the system junction shapefile.
Actually in the final step , after the new network shapefiles have been created, i try to build the network but it always failed and gives me this error.

Also, i have tried these tutorials using my personal Laptop (ArcGIS 10.1 , Windows 7, service pack 1), and there is no such error.
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
Are you trying to use the same tutorial and tutorial data on both your 9.3 machine and your 10.1 machine?  I wouldn't expect that to work.  Various improvements to network datasets have been made throughout the years, so the procedures and data used for the 10.1 tutorial might not work in 9.3.

The 9.3 version of the tutorial is here: http://webhelp.esri.com/ArcGISdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=Tutorials

ArcGIS 9.3 is very old software.  You should upgrade if possible.
0 Kudos
KhaledAhmed
New Contributor II
The tutorial data version is 9.3.
So after what you have explained, i think the problem is not becuase of the software version.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
But can i ask, how can a computer network issue affects the results of ArcGIS?

Anytime I see a read/write error I think permissions and that is often times associated with network/shared drives where the user does not have the correct permissions....
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos