3D Barriers

Jump to solution
03-26-2013 03:53 PM
EricStipe
New Contributor III
I am trying to implement 3D barriers from a feature class into a network using a model, but I can't seem to get the resulting barrier to appear on the proper three dimensional plane. The feature class that the barrier is generated from a 3D feature, and displays properly in ArcScene. Yet when I run my model, the barrier that appears in the route layer doesn't retain the 3D information. I need to have the 3D information, as I don't want to apply the barrier to all features just to the features on that specific plane.

I have the barriers set up via a second "Add Location" tool, as a polygon barrier after the Add Location tool that generates the stops. Is there something that I need to set in the tool itself to retain the Z information from the feature class? I do not have "Use Network Location Fields instead of Geometry" selected.

Below a picture of the problem. The green is the feature class, red is the barrier that is created after running the model.

I should also add that I do not need the barrier to be extruded, or represent a three dimensional box or object, just that it needs to have the correct elevation.

Thanks,

eric

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22974[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertGarrity
Esri Contributor
Hello Eric,

I'm attaching a series of graphics to explain what the problem is for indoor routing and how you may be able to resolve it using Search Query. But in a nutshell, the Z values of 3D line and polygon features are ignored when loaded as barriers. This means the barriers affect any network element that intersects them as well as any elements above or below them. Line and polygon barriers were implemented this way due to technical limitations, or more specifically, due to limitations with 3D spatial operations.

A way to get around this is with the Search Query parameter on the Add Locations geoprocessing tool. Write a query to locate your barriers on a specific floor level using a field in the attribute table of the edge source feature class. (This implies that your source features need floor-level attribution for this to work.) Your query should exclude junctions as well. If you are modeling doorways or something similar with junctions, the junction sources would need to have floor-level attribution too, but you can probably get away with building a query that doesn't select any junctions at all.

The graphics should help clarify if this isn't too clear.

Good to see your making progress on your project.

Best,
Robert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertGarrity
Esri Contributor
Hello Eric,

I'm attaching a series of graphics to explain what the problem is for indoor routing and how you may be able to resolve it using Search Query. But in a nutshell, the Z values of 3D line and polygon features are ignored when loaded as barriers. This means the barriers affect any network element that intersects them as well as any elements above or below them. Line and polygon barriers were implemented this way due to technical limitations, or more specifically, due to limitations with 3D spatial operations.

A way to get around this is with the Search Query parameter on the Add Locations geoprocessing tool. Write a query to locate your barriers on a specific floor level using a field in the attribute table of the edge source feature class. (This implies that your source features need floor-level attribution for this to work.) Your query should exclude junctions as well. If you are modeling doorways or something similar with junctions, the junction sources would need to have floor-level attribution too, but you can probably get away with building a query that doesn't select any junctions at all.

The graphics should help clarify if this isn't too clear.

Good to see your making progress on your project.

Best,
Robert
0 Kudos
EricStipe
New Contributor III
Thanks for the response, Robert. The information and graphics are useful. I will go ahead and give this a shot, but I think that it might be easier due to the nature of the barriers (multiple floors, multiple buildings) to assign the affected edges with an attribute that can be used as a restriction. This is a helpful workaround if just one building, or one level of barriers, but unfortunately I feel the query would be so lengthy it might be more work that it's worth. Still going to try it out though.

Thanks for your continued help on this, we have been making progress.

Eric
0 Kudos