Select to view content in your preferred language

Editing a route layer in Navigator?

Jump to solution
05-16-2024 08:59 AM
RossFindlayCOC
New Contributor III

Just started working with Navigator this week, so I am pretty new to what the app can do. Is it possible to edit route layers in the Navigator App? I know you can do it in the Map viewer and then reload the route with the recalculated path, but I would like field staff to be able to do this for their routes while out in the field.

Scenario: I am looing to set up our building inspectors with vehicle routing problem (VRP) defined routes, but would like this to simply be a skeleton  for their daily task list. If the inspector arrives on site and the occupant is not there then I would like the inspector to be able to reorder the stops defined, in the same way they can if they were to manually key in the address list the VRP generated.

I get that this eliminates the "most efficient route" but in the real world, appointments get shuffled around all the time and so routes need the flexibility to adapt to the days events.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

Hi  @RossFindlayCOC . Thank you for your question. When working with pre-planned routes, users can not make changes to those routes in the field. 

One alternative workflow you may want to consider using ArcGIS Field Maps with Navigator. Once you run the Vehicle Route Problem tool, you can add a layer with those stops with the optimized stop order numbers. Then users can select the stop they want to route to and use Navigator to route from their current location. It's also worth mentioning that users can "mark stop as visited" when they re-start the optimized route layer in Navigator.

Another option would be to add your stops to your MMPK in an operational layer to use in Navigator, so users can search for another stop directly in Navigator. I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

Hi  @RossFindlayCOC . Thank you for your question. When working with pre-planned routes, users can not make changes to those routes in the field. 

One alternative workflow you may want to consider using ArcGIS Field Maps with Navigator. Once you run the Vehicle Route Problem tool, you can add a layer with those stops with the optimized stop order numbers. Then users can select the stop they want to route to and use Navigator to route from their current location. It's also worth mentioning that users can "mark stop as visited" when they re-start the optimized route layer in Navigator.

Another option would be to add your stops to your MMPK in an operational layer to use in Navigator, so users can search for another stop directly in Navigator. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
RossFindlayCOC
New Contributor III

Thanks for the option, I reluctantly accept this as the solution. It just doesn’t do what I want it to do, which I accept.

0 Kudos