Select to view content in your preferred language

Add display-only layer to Navigator?

4 weeks ago
Barry_Zickuhr
New Contributor II

We'd like to use Navigator for a few of our staff to get to inspection sites. We'd like to add a display-only layer to the Navigator map, but that does not seem to be a simple option? I don't want to create a new road network, or a new basemap, just drop a layer for reference on the map - similar to adding a KML to a Google Map. 

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks

Barry

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

Hi @Barry_Zickuhr ! You can add a read-only and/or operational layer(s) to your map, but it does require a few steps. Since Navigator uses mobile map packages (mmpks) you would need to use an existing mmpk or create a new one and add the layer(s) to the map, this can be done in ArcGIS Pro. Then you would need to package your new mmpk with your layer(s). For more information and steps on how to complete this task you check out our documentation here.

0 Kudos
Barry_Zickuhr
New Contributor II

And that documentation implies that I need to build a new road network with Network Analyst, which I do not want to do. I don't have Network Analyst, and don't have a subscription to Streetmap Premium. Again, just want to draw a feature layer on top of ArcGIS Navigator that is not used to route, locate or do anything other than just provide extra display info.

Can I create a simple MMPK that's just this layer and draw that as well as the standard Navigator map? 

0 Kudos
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

@Barry_Zickuhr you won't need to build a new road network. With your Navigator license you have access to MMPKs. Go to the Navigator Maps page and sign in with your credentials (that has a Navigator license, if it doesn't take for any reason, select the map first and sign in on the download page). Download the MMPK that you need to your desktop, then open it in ArcGIS Pro. Once it's open in Pro you can add your data and then create a new MMPK. Once that's done you can view your new MMPK in Navigator.

0 Kudos
Barry_Zickuhr
New Contributor II

Ah, well. It appears this is an option through ArcGIS Online only? Once the MMPK is updated, I have to post it to ArcGIS Online in order for Navigator to see it? That's an issue, as this is data that's classed "Confidential with Special Handling" aka Washington's highest security level, Level 4. ArcGIS Online is not cleared for Cat 4 data, so I can't upload it to ArcGIS Online. I was hoping to be able to load this directly to the iPhone/iPad. But I can't seem to get Navigator to see local files on the iPhone. Hence my frustration...

0 Kudos
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

@Barry_Zickuhr you do have two additional options to posting your MMPKs to ArcGIS Online. If you have ArcGIS Enterprise, you can post your MMPKs to your portal in Enterprise for users to download. The other option is that you can sideload your MMPKs onto your devices. Here is some documentation with more information about sideloading. 

0 Kudos