Select to view content in your preferred language

Blank Navigator Screen while waiting for GPS Fix

05-16-2024 02:27 AM
6w-nick
New Contributor II

Navigator displays a white / blank screen when there is no GPS Fix, once the device has a GPS Fix, navigator maps are displayed.

In the attached video you can see Navigator opening with a blank screen, once the location is available (top bar) the last navigator map loads.

The delay in getting a location fix can cause end users to close the app or try other methods such as turning off data and location to force Navigator to load quicker.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

Hi @6w-nick. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can you let me know the make/model of the devices you are using when seeing this behavior?

Also, I will note, that since you are using such a large MMPK, that it is probably just taking an extra moment to load due to the large size of the file. Letting users know that they just need to wait a few moments for the map to load could help. 

0 Kudos
6w-nick
New Contributor II

Hi Kerri, I am seeing this on a Samsung S21 and a Pixel 7. I have tried a smaller 345MB mmpk (on device) and there is still a 6-8 seconds delay, the map is instantly loaded after the location service icon is displayed. Users tend to get distracted after 2 seconds!

0 Kudos
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

@6w-nick thank you for the additional information. Are you running any MDM software on your devices? 

0 Kudos
6w-nick
New Contributor II

Hi @KerriRasmussen on the Samsung S21 and Pixel we are using MDM, but I just tried it on my phone Samsung S23 Ultra and I had the same delay.

0 Kudos
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

@6w-nick I've done some testing on my end with different sized maps on a Samsung S21, but I'm not seeing the same issue. What type of connection are you using when you are downloading the mmpks?

0 Kudos
6w-nick
New Contributor II

So I am using a UK broadband internet connection of 36 Mb download (not amazing but good enough), I have also tried it on mobile 4G connection, with the same results. Two of the devices are connecting to ArcGIS Enterprise hosted in Azure the other (mine) is connecting to AGOL. All of the maps have been side loaded on to the device.

0 Kudos