error when testing LicenseManager extension for Monitor 10.7.1

11-05-2019 11:01 AM
AllanAxon1
New Contributor III

I have installed the License extension and am trying to configure it in ArcGIS Monitor 10.7.1 on Windows 2016.

I have 2 other extensions installed, so in ArcGIS Monitor Administrator, I can create a new Ext counter and add the name, Type: License; port 27003; host name of the machine running the license manager. I've set Sample Interval to 5 minutes the default. I'm using a copy of lmutil.exe from our license server which is running LicenseManager version 2019.0.

When I click Test, I get:

Error: Unexpected error occurred while running machine.

I've confirmed connectivity between the monitor server and the license server machines on the port documented above.

I see my Tests of the LicenseManager extension in a log that is created by the support.bat, but no additional details about the error.

Has anyone else seen this error with another extension or with the Licensemanager extension?

Thanks,

Allan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have not seen that error but the most common problems with respect to configuring the License Manager extension are:

1. The license manager server is not running on the default port 27000.

2. The server running ArcGIS Montitor does not have connectivity to the license manager server (firewall issue, no DNS name for the License Manager server, etc.).

Try running "lmutil.exe -h" from the command line to verify the file is not corrupted and you have permission to execute that file. See attached photo.

LMUTIL -h

Next - trying connecting to your License Manager server by manually executing "lmutil.exe" from the command line where it is located in the ArcGIS Monitor "bin" directory:

lmutil.exe lmstat -s 27000@mylicensemanagerserver.esri.com -a -c @mylicensemanagerserver.esri.com

Where: 

27000 is the default port number (the port number you expect your License Manager to be using

mylicensemanagerserver.esri.com = replace with your fully qualified license manager host name

You should see output similar to the following if the connection works.

Note the port number below in red; this number verifies the port number in use by your license manager server

lmutil - Copyright (c) 1989-2010 Flexera Software, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Flexible License Manager status on Mon 11/25/2019 09:46

[Detecting lmgrd processes...]

License server status: 27000@mylicensermanagerserver.esri.com

0 Kudos
AllanAxon1
New Contributor III

Michael,

Thanks for the steps and instructions. I was able to confirm that the lmutil.exe is not corrupt and can connect from the ArcGIS Monitor server to the license server machine. I was able to use "lmutil.exe lmstat" using several different flags and received the information I would expect.

I did notice that even though I specify the 27003 port for 27003@<servername.here.com>, I also receive information from our FME license server running on 27005 (27005@<servername.here.com>). I had noticed a "Note: There may be only one instance of License Manager type per collector" below the Host field in the License Manager configuration page in ArcGIS Monitor Administrator. I had ignored this because FME is not listening on 270003, but when running lmutil lmstat, I'm also receiving FME license information.

I neglected to mention the presence of the FME license server on this machine. Is that a problem?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

All I can say is if you can successfully run the following command from the command prompt and get all the expected license data in the output, then it should also work in ArcGIS Monitor if you use the same license server name and port number.  I assume you are logging in to the ArcGIS Monitor server with the same Domain Account that is running the collector service and not some other user (ex. your personal account).

lmutil.exe lmstat -s 27000@myserver.esri.com -a -c @myserver.esri.com

"Note: There may be only one instance of License Manager type per collector" below the Host field in the License Manager configuration page in ArcGIS Monitor Administrator.

Yes - the above statement means that in the ArGIS Monitor Administrator tree on the left hand side, when you look under your collector, that one collector can only be configured with one License Manager extension. 

0 Kudos
AllanAxon1
New Contributor III

Michael,

I assume you are logging in to the ArcGIS Monitor server with the same Domain Account that is running the collector service and not some other user (ex. your personal account)

The collector service (called the Monitoring Service in much of the documentation) is running as Local System (by default). I am getting ready to switch the Monitoring Service to a service account so that we can use the FileReadWrite Extension and test reading and especially writing to a share (we have up to 6 10.5.1 machines in one of our clusters). I am running the lmutil lmstat command that I reported on as an admin user account.

I will aim to run the collector/Monitoring Service as a service account and also test the lmutil exe by running it as that same account. I will post here with my results.

Thanks,

0 Kudos