ArcGIS Monitor 2023.2 - Database Installation

Jump to solution
09-11-2023 03:02 PM
LanceKirby2
Occasional Contributor II

My team is preparing to install ArcGIS Monitor 2023.2 on a 2019 Windows Server. The server has been setup, but a question came up that I can't find an answer to through documentation so I was hoping someone could provide some input. @DerekLaw already provided some information that will be really helpful, but would like to receive input from others.

This server had to be partitioned into two drives (C and D). The D drive has 150gb of disk space available and is capable of being expanded. The C drive only has 60gb or so space left on it and can't be expanded. Since the recommendation for the ArcGIS Monitor database is 100gb, we're thinking we will need to put it on the D drive.

My questions:

1. Is there any issue with putting monitor on the C: drive and the database on the D drive?
  2. Would it be better to put both ArcGIS Monitor and database on the D drive?

I would also love if someone could point me to a blog on setting up the database portion of this! Do I get the appropriate Postgress installer from MyEsri or do I need to go out and find it myself. I haven't done much with Postgress, but according to the documentation here it looks like I only need to run a couple of SQL scripts to basically create the database, create the user, and set permissions. The next section on creating the schema is kind of confusing to me. How do the actual appropriate table schemas get generated? 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Lance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Here is a link to download Postgres for Windows (no it's not available in MyEsri). The installer is pretty straight-forward. There is a part of the installer that asks for a password, and the username for that is postgres (think equivalent to siteadmin for ArcGIS Server). I would watch the video here before running through the Postgres install, just to make sure the steps make sense. The option for Stack Builder is not required for ArcGIS Monitor and can be unchecked.

Once Postgres is installed, run the SQL scripts that are outlined in the help docs and it will complete the database / user setup for you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Q1: Because ArcGIS Monitor connects to the Postgres instance like any other tool accessing a database, if Postgres is installed on a different drive, there is no impact to the functionality. Most customers I have helped with this installation prefer secondary/data drives.

Q2: If the concern is about available space on the C drive, then I would recommend installing ArcGIS Monitor & Postgres on the D drive.

0 Kudos
LanceKirby2

Thanks for the response @ReeseFacendini! Could you share some light on the second part of my post?

0 Kudos
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Here is a link to download Postgres for Windows (no it's not available in MyEsri). The installer is pretty straight-forward. There is a part of the installer that asks for a password, and the username for that is postgres (think equivalent to siteadmin for ArcGIS Server). I would watch the video here before running through the Postgres install, just to make sure the steps make sense. The option for Stack Builder is not required for ArcGIS Monitor and can be unchecked.

Once Postgres is installed, run the SQL scripts that are outlined in the help docs and it will complete the database / user setup for you.

LanceKirby2

Thank you @ReeseFacendini! That video clears a lot up for me!

0 Kudos
AngusHooper1
Occasional Contributor III

A common recommendation is to partition with C, D and E drives. C is left to the operating system, D is for application or software installs and E is left for data.